Thread: My SMLE Sporter

Threaded View

Default My SMLE Sporter

My dad bought this rifle for me from a department store in 1965 (with reservations.) It was a beautiful thing, straight from FTR. Hardly a blemish anywhere. Back then though, all military surplus rifles were seen primarily as candidates for sporter conversion and I looked on mine as no exception so I turned what would today be a $700.00 to $900.00 into a $150.00 rifle which is a less than I have in the gun even in 1960a dollars. Strangely I don't regret it. I killed my first deer with it, the Remington 180 gr. SPCL round nose dropped that doe like a bad habit at 100 long steps. i killed some deer after that with it too. Being a lover of anachronisms I replaced it with a Remington 700 Classic in .250 Savage and the Enfield became my backup. All the rest of the deer I killed I took with the Remington.

Our son was a big fan of Patterson's Lee Speed Magazine hunting rifle in "The Ghost of the Darkness." I told him I didn't have one of those but I did give him the Enfield sporter. He doesn't hunt but I loaded him up some ammunition with Woodleigh Weldcore 215 gr. soft points which I figured was as close to period ammo I could come up with.

I've often said any collection of Milsurps should include at least one sporter from the period when that was their primary purpose. Here's mine.

CIMG0872.jpg

The stock is a Bishop, built to my specs. The gunsmith removed the charger bridge and polished and blued the rifle. The back sight is a Williams 5D. The 5 shot magazine is a late replacement. Originally the butt plate was a Neidner steel which I replaced with a kick pad because of our son's longer length of pull, probably a mistake.
    Last edited by Art; 10-20-2022 at 05:55. Reason: Correction, completness