Default my sporterized krag

Just purchased this Krag - cut down '98 rifle, '99 carbine stock.

as purchased: Attachment 50857

refinished:
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a beautiful Krag sporter! This would be a tremendous rifle for hunting just about anything in the lower 48 states. It should really shine on the range. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

For hunting, you could use sling swivels ... another good addition would be a ramp front sight base - I think Brownells sells one you can sweat on - as the one you have could hang you up going through brush. That is a really nice "carbine" ... one reason there are so many of what Mr. Hosmer calls "carfles" is that the Krag carbine was the best hunting rifle Springfield arsenal ever made, especially the late models without that noisy lanyard ring that gets in the way of a hand-around-the-action carry.

Good luck!

jn

Thanks, great if I can get ammo

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks my son did most of the work (it had been shellaced). Now if I could get ammo -

I agree with Jon . . .
    I once hunted whitetail in Vermont with my Winchester Model 1892 rifle.
    As it had no sling swivels, and I was NOT about to ruin the collectibility of it, I juryrigged a sling by loosening the lower butplate screw, inserting a piece of rawhide tied in a loop, and another loop around the barrel just forward of the forearm.
    Using these loops, I fastened a strap through them and went on my hunt.
    It worked FAIRLY well.

I would suggest you do the same on that Krag ?cause that stock looks great!

As an aside . . . I have a M98 Krag rifle cut down to a ?carbine? also, and it sits in a legitimate, unmolested M99 carbine stock.
    No way would I ever change anything on that stock!

Thanks, Bubba did drill some holes for sling swivels. Will fill them soonest. Agree about stock.

7. Default

Our family has numerous Krags of that nature that go into the field yearly in pursuit of white tail deer here in the Catskills. That is a very good set up for field and/or range. Congratulations

I'm taking off for Idaho maybe tomorrow for regular elk season. Once again, my main rifle is a Krag with a 22" Winchester Model 70 barrel and iron sights. Needless to say, this is NOT a collector gun, but it is just what the doctor ordered for hunting in the Bitterroots!

krag_a..jpgkrag_c..jpgkrag_d..jpg

jn

9. Default

Very nice! Good luck on your hunt.