Default Questions on a Remington M1903

Several weeks ago, I picked up a Remington M1903 with a cut-down stock. All the metal (barrel, receiver, bolt, etc.) is Remington, marked where appropriate and in excellent shape. I also happen to have an FJA marked, two-pin stock from a long-forgotten (and best forgotten) project that is, as best I determine, correct for the date of the Remington M1903 (barrel date 10-42, serial number 32763XX). My questions have to do with the correct (or reasonably so) furniture for the stock. I have read Poyer, Brophy, and Canfield, but have not been able to find more than a couple of pictures of early Remington ?03s. I have a milled lower barrel band, but only a Springfield upper milled band available. I also have a checkered butt plate or smooth butt plate, as well as a Remington stamped lower barrel band, upper band, and stacking swivel band. While the pictures I have seen only show milled bands on the early M1903, Poyer, Brophy, and Canfield suggest that as the M1903 transitioned to the M1903A3, stamped band appeared on the later Remington M1903s such as this one.
    So the questions, would this M1903 be correct with stamped bands (lower, upper, and stacking swivel), and would it be correct with the checkered butt plate? Or should I hold out until I can find a milled upper barrel band marked ?R?, as I have the milled lower band? And I can use either the smooth butt plate or the checked butt plate.
    Appreciate the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

This late a rifle could well have a mixture of stamped and milled parts . Remington 1903 rifles will have a smooth buttplate with a little R marked on the inside of the trap. Milled bands will have an R, no markings on the stamped bands,

I've pretty much decided to go with milled barrel bands and smooth butt plate. The stock already has a stamped rear sling swivel marked R and I'm leaving that. Will have to find the correct R marked parts later (upper band, butt plate) and I've used Springfield parts so I could put the rifle together. Not hard to switch out, but I need to find a nice blued upper band. Not so picky on the butt plate. The ones that make their way to ebay are generally almost devoid of finish and pocket-marked.

Col. Frank J. Atwood took over command of the Rochester Ordnance District on June 15, 1942. In addition to the 1903, 1903-A3, and 1903-A4 his initials appear on a variety of military items made in his district.