Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Stevens Pope 22 caliber Krag carbine

Hasn?t been a new post in awhile so I thought I?d show off a pretty scarce 22 Krag. Stevens Pope produced a number of 22 LR barrels for the New Jersey guard between about 1901-1903. They were to be used for training being cheaper to shoot than the 30/40 cartridges. This spurred Springfield into coming up with a design of their own the result of which was a terribly complicated and delicate Gallery Practice 22 Long rifle (BTW the only 22 Long rifle produced for military training).

Stevens Pope did produce a few carbine length barrels, perhaps as few as three. This is a carbine I first saw at the Baltimore show 10-15 years ago. I was out bid then, but fate gave me another chance.

Outstanding - thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    . . . . . (BTW the only 22 Long rifle produced for military training). . . . .
    I thought at least SOME of the M1922 Springfield .22 cal. rifles were used by troops for “military training.”

.22 Long
    .22 Long Rifle

Different cartridge, different twist. (Still confused?)

Quote Originally Posted by Parashooter View Post
    .22 Long
    .22 Long Rifle

Different cartridge, different twist. (Still confused?)
    Same case, different bullet. Even more confusion.

I once had a fill length rifle marked .22 with the Stevens -Pope barrel it was a fun shooter. range apes would always ask why the hell did they make .22 krags? My story was that the army in the Islands wanted to capture locals for information but the 30-40 kept killing them so the army brought in .22 rifle to just wound them. I think once in a while I was believed.

Good story Tom. There is one or two born every day. I try to avoid them.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

8. Default

I have collected Krags for a long time and have a particular affinity for the 22rf cartridge. Did a complete display of 22 cal Krags at the Kansas City show several years ago, but no award. Is there anything anyone would like to see?

- - - Updated - - -

Trying to keep this site alive?..