Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default milsurps.com Wants Your Phone # Now

I visit there periodically as there is a bit of interesting gun chatter there from time to time. Only this time after logging in I am told I need to give a phone # as a condition of reading any threads.

Stated reason is to police up WTB/WTS section fraud, and they solemnly swear only admins will be able to see your phone #. Well besides whoever hacks their site, that is.

Well who are these admins? What makes them trustworthy? More to the point, given how easily scammers come up fake #s from which to call/text me, how does this combat WTB/WTS fraud?

Leaning against giving them my # for now.

2. Default

Yup. How 'bout signing on via VPN?

Don't give them nothin'

jn

Yes an unnecessary shame that they did this.

Blog Entries

not seeing the big deal,

give them you number,, no one said it had to be a current one,,,

besides, admin can use your registration, and IP address to find you, it's not that hard,

All depends on the admin don't it.

As for IP addresses. Most providers are multi state or national, and your address on their network (that your computer or phone sees) is not the same as the one they show to the internet for your traffic. It's called an "exit node" and ISPs use them as do VPNs.

But if bogus #s are fine too then what's the point? Only the honest are at a disadvantage in that case, and one would think a gun site would know better than to go down that road.

Blog Entries

I've been a member of Mil Surps almost as long as here.....I just went there, logged in and started looking around and reading but not posting.....never was asked for a phone number......curiouser and curiouser.

Try to read a thread and get this--

Says:

You have an empty profile field for your contact Phone Number, which is now required to be provided. Please click here to edit your profile and update this now.

Why? ... In order to protect our valued membership from growing online WTS/WTB fraud, we now require all members to provide their contact Phone Number. Your Phone Number is always PRIVATE and viewable only by the system administrator. It will ONLY be used to assist in the prevention of WTS/WTB fraud sales and raffle participation. Thank you for your understanding.
    Screenshot_20221004-053615.jpg
    Last edited by togor; 10-04-2022 at 03:40.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    All depends on the admin don't it.

As for IP addresses. Most providers are multi state or national, and your address on their network (that your computer or phone sees) is not the same as the one they show to the internet for your traffic. It's called an "exit node" and ISPs use them as do VPNs.

But if bogus #s are fine too then what's the point? Only the honest are at a disadvantage in that case, and one would think a gun site would know better than to go down that road.
    hmmmm you just proved a point I made with someone,, not sure that will work out well

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    I've been a member of Mil Surps almost as long as here.....I just went there, logged in and started looking around and reading but not posting.....never was asked for a phone number......curiouser and curiouser.
    ditto,