Default Question for Canadians (Blind Robins)?

What happened to them. Years ago I really loved to snack on them and drink draft beer. For years the Schnucks Stores in St. Louis sold them in their seafood departments and you could also buy them in pool halls and direct from Canadian vendors. Now you cannot find them even on Google.

For the unenlightened a blind Robin is a smoked, salted, and dried herring.

Blind Robins ? With a name like that it's no wonder they vanished.

May I suggest some dried squid as a tasty alternative to accompany your glass of ale/beer?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oyaji View Post
    May I suggest some dried squid as a tasty alternative to accompany your glass of ale/beer?
    squid is best battered and fried, then dipped in Marinara

tasty stuff

Until now the only blind robins I've heard of were the robin red breast birds. In this part of the South we most always get a late spring frost/freezing temps. The robins migrate or appear here very early and sometimes become victims of the freeze.

Their unprotected eyes freeze due to this and of course are blinded, soon to be killed or eaten by dogs/cats and other animals as they hobble around aimlessly.

It seems to only happen to the robins. I believe they are the first to migrate here in the springtime and often get caught up in the late freezes. As a child I never heard of blind blackbirds, crows, blue jays, etc... just blind robins. Maybe that's where the expression came from?

Living along the Gulf Coast, we have an abundance of seafood. Squid is sold here for fish bait. I've never seen it on any restaurant menu's or known of anyone who ate it though I know many do, mostly out of our area.

I suppose if Hew Haw was still being shown the "Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper" skit would have changed with the times but would probably never include squid or blind robins. Just guessing though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allen; 10-03-2022 at 09:23.

Blog Entries

I made a batch of Gluten Free Biscuits last week that were quite tasty,

wife is GF, as in Celiac, not by choice, so I bake a lot of GF pastries/cakes/pies etc

I had never heard of them but I found this ad: https://m.facebook.com/bearcatsfishg...9691537381684/