Default How to refinih hte inside hand guard cover on the M1A?

any specific paint to use?

Thanks.

Interesting. IIRC the handguard on the M14 was colored fiberglass and not painted. I could be wrong of course, its ben a long time. I would imagine any heat resistant paint that matches the in the color you want would work.

They usually have a silver painted inside.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RH Scott View Post
    They usually have a silver painted inside.
    this

5. Default

Try using high temp paint, should last a long time. Find a paint that could be used for an exhaust system on a car.

I've seen it too, but what was that all about? The silver paint.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    I've seen it too, but what was that all about? The silver paint.
    Reflect some heat to keep the TOP of the hand gard cooler?

Physics isn't my strong suit but I can't imagine that reflecting the barrel heat back down into the rifle would be a real good thing. The handguard on an M14/M1A is very "proud" of the barrel and should work just real well on its on. I've had some pretty warm M1 handguards the few times I did a little real rapid fire with one but never on an M14. But heck, the idea was developed by people smarter than me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Physics isn't my strong suit but I can't imagine that reflecting the barrel heat back down into the rifle would be a real good thing. The handguard on an M14/M1A is very "proud" of the barrel and should work just real well on its on. I've had some pretty warm M1 handguards the few times I did a little real rapid fire with one but never on an M14. But heck, the idea was developed by people smarter than me.
    I am sure there is some physics behind it,

even the slotted or vented handguards are silver on the inside

your Garand comment brought back a memory of a Danish Return I had

at the time folks were clammoring about how great the VAR barrels are, so I cleaned mine up and thought I had most of that black tar like grease out of it,

hot day at the range, got it sighted in, and was doing some match practice (10 round rapid sitting and prone) and noticed my glove was wet, but not from my sweat,

it was the grease seeping out,

I went back to my regular match gun

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    I am sure there is some physics behind it,

even the slotted or vented handguards are silver on the inside

your Garand comment brought back a memory of a Danish Return I had

at the time folks were clammoring about how great the VAR barrels are, so I cleaned mine up and thought I had most of that black tar like grease out of it,

hot day at the range, got it sighted in, and was doing some match practice (10 round rapid sitting and prone) and noticed my glove was wet, but not from my sweat,

it was the grease seeping out,

I went back to my regular match gun
    My Garand also has a VAR barrel that gaged just under "0" on a MW gage. It must not have been issued after the Danes re-barreled it. After about 1,000 rounds its just over "0." The stock was real tight too. Capable of just over an inch at 100 yards from a bench with hand loads if I did my part. It ooozed Danish preservative for quite a while too though not as badly as yours. It's still one of my favorite rifles to shoot and I did shoot a few Garand matches with it while scratching stuff off my bucket list.
    Last edited by Art; 09-30-2022 at 12:09.