Thread: ROK in 'Nam

Default ROK in 'Nam

Anyone recall their experience with the ROK troops while in 'Nam?
    While I never saw them in actual combat. I heard they were fierce fighters and they didn't give the VC or NVA any leeway. They would come around our area often. They were much larger in physical size than the usual oriental. In my opinion, they looked all business and mean looking.

While I cannot verify this . . . .
    I onced worked with a Vietnam vet who told me of this one operation . . . .
    He was on a helo with some Mountainyard (sp) irregulars . . . .along with a captured VC . . . .
    All was well as they flew, except when Bobby turned his back for a moment . . . .
    When he turned back, the prisoner was GONE . . . .and the “guerillas” all had very broad smiles on their faces!

Blog Entries

I have heard that the VC never attacked any ROK base area. 1969-70 I was at Osan AFB. The ROK troops caught a "slicky boy" barracks thief. His head was on a pole out side their barracks for a day before the base commander made them take it down.

Yep, like I said, they were not to be messed with!

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

I was riding buy a ROK base on the army bus and they had a ROK soldier out there chained to a post and he the chain was set up so he could not sit nor stand, he was in a hunched over position. I have no ideal how long he was there. They didn't screw around.
    When I was in Nam I heard about the ROK but was never in action with them. Was in action with the 5th ARVN Rangers who seemed to be fairly competent.