Thread: Sad duty

1. Default Sad duty

Friend needs to put down her horse. Told her correct ammunition and proper technique is more important than caliber.
    Anyone with experience have suggestions? I say FMJ perpendicular to point of entry. Doesn't have a gun but there's plenty around.

I like horses, have been around a few and rode a few including one my grandfather owned just for us (the grand kids). This is what has stopped me dead in my tracks from owning one though.

Besides the emotional part think what the burial would be like. A person would need backhoe to do it right.

In the case of your friend a call to the local vet may provide some info. Some vets come to farms and vaccinate cattle and put down animals. Time is the problem here though if it needs to be done immediately.

If she has to borrow a gun she would probably just do best having someone else do the shooting as well and not be present.

FMJ? Wouldn't you want something that would expand and do the most damage/kill quickly?

Blog Entries

have a friend that married a woman who works with horses,

be sure to check with the local vet, and LEO to make sure they put it down correctly, as in not violate any laws,,

and then as Allen mentioned, you will need a backhoe to dig the hole,

Large animal vets have a shot that will euthanize a horse humanely in a few seconds. I would never try to shoot a horse. Too easy to screw that up. Yeah, backhoe, I've got two buried in my pasture, horses that is, not backhoes.

Get a vet to put the horse down. The vet will support the horse and give it a heavy sedative to put it into a deep sleep. That is followed by a chemical to stop its heart. It is a relatively kind, painless and non-violent procedure. Most municipalities prohibit burying large animals in unapproved areas. The vet will know where to bury the horse.

This should not be a "do it yourself" job. Pay the vet. Have it done right. A screw up on a hunting shot can be really unpleasant, on a beloved companion animal it would be horrifying..

I know a lot of horse lovers can find themselves "financially embarassed" at a time like this (the vet charged almost $200.00 to euthanize one of my wife's cats.) but the right thing is to dig up the money and get it done.
    Last edited by Art; 09-16-2022 at 04:47.

I always thought I'd just shoot my dogs as need be, but I'm not that much of a cowboy. When the time came I took them to the vet and they got the relaxing shot (which perked them up a little). Then the heart stopping shot. In the interim I told them I loved them and what good dogs they were and then it was goodbye. I never felt awful about it afterwards.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

I took my dogs to the vet and saw them out, I am too soft hearted myself, but I still felt bad about it, I hope no one ever digs up my back yard... Jim

Never easy to do. Vet is best and easier to handle.

Always a ache and the pain will linger.