Thread: First gun

Default First gun

I saw on Gunboards a discussion where most people were suggesting AR-15s 10/22s, or M-1 carbine. I think I had the perfect 1st gun. It was a Savage model 24, 22LR/.410. I killed a bunch of cottontails, squirrels, quails and varmints.

Later I knew a guy in the 1970?s that had the .223/20ga model and killed dozens of feral hogs and yes poached 8-10 whitetails per year. To me those guns are the perfect survival gun.

2. Default

Worked with a guy from UP. 22(mag?)/20 was his only gun. And deer season was 'extended'.

Blog Entries

shame the Canadian's ruined Gunboards,,,

my first gun, besides a bb or pellet rifle, was a Mini 14,, still have it,

I always thought the .22/.410 was a great idea. Thought about getting one but never did. Always thought that A-7? .22 that fit inside the stock was brilliant too.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

My brother has a .22/.410. He ordered the .222 or .223/20 but being a kid when the .22/410 showed up he kept it. I shot it a lot. I liked being able to put a scope on a shotgun. What I didn't like about it was it was a single shot (one for each).

i found one for my dad, who always wanted his brother's model 24.

the .410 shoots slugs pretty much point of aim out to 50-60yds but the .22 is horrendously inaccurate. one could only HOPE to hit small game with it. it patterned about the same size as shot in the .410 barrel.

i never looked that much into it in part because my dad never intended to shoot it, he just always like his brother's...

My first was a Daisy VL. Still have it and a few rounds of the ever-so-rare ammo...

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    . . . . .the .410 shoots slugs pretty much point of aim out to 50-60yds but the .22 is horrendously inaccurate. one could only HOPE to hit small game with it. it patterned about the same size as shot in the .410 barrel. . . . .
    yup . . . no surprise here . . . . .

All those ?combination? guns lack in some department.

As was told to me years ago . . . .

?Combination guns, though they sell briskly to neophytes, don?t do anything especially well. Shotgun ?sets? with skeet and trap barrels are notorious for this. The butt stock has too much drop at the heel for trap, but OK for skeet.?