Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default The gun (parts) business

So, I came across a Garand operating rod marked NM. It's a post war model marked 7790722-RA. It's in very good condition. I put it up on Ebay on Saturday. After 12 hrs. I had one "look". I figured something was wrong so I took down the ad and put it up again on Sunday being very careful to put it in the right category. 24 hrs. later I have one "look".
    I put up another part a few weeks ago. After a week I had 3 looks. It wasn't a real sexy part so I scratched my head a little and moved on. The NM oprod is a cool part.
    This is incredible. I talked to another seller yesterday and he said the same thing. It seems something has happened to the gun market. I know inflation and all that has an impact but how tight are people getting with their money? No funds for toys or has the gun market just died from fear of confiscation? Or people have finally gotten past the Milsurp collecting.
    Now I have sold some parts recently. Not a lot of looks either but the guys that wanted them really wanted them.
    I am not "in the business". I'm just doing some housekeeping these days. Remember, this isn't the politics forum.
    Last edited by dryheat; 08-29-2022 at 05:23.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Well, not everyone has a Garand and a lot of those that do don't shoot them enough to wear out the op rod.

Surplus op rods for Garands are also plentiful so a person can choose between many sellers if they do need one. Garand owners also like to stick with the brand of their rifle. If they own a Winchester, for example, they more than likely want Winchester parts. Some of these parts have become scarce now and collectible. A NM rod is nice to have especially for a shooter grade rifle but they aren't rare.

You didn't mention price. Since many are available a higher than average price will stop people from looking. What would stop me is if there is no indication of the wear or diameter of the piston. If it is worn beyond specs it won't matter if the rod is a NM.

Guns like the Garands, if feel, are mostly appealing to older people, some of which used them in service, or know the guns ability. Many, because of their value now have become closet queens and don't need replacement parts. There will always be a need for parts for these rifles but maybe not as much so as 10-20 years ago.

The younger generation have no place to shoot and may just buy a handgun. Those that buy long guns are buying mostly stuff like the AR's and AK's.

Have you observed other op rod sales on Ebay that are priced lower, in better condition or those that give the mic'd dimensions of the piston? A buyer not having this info is taking a gamble buying a used rod. It may be worse than what they have now.
    Last edited by Allen; 08-29-2022 at 07:23.

The NM operating rod is a replacement part. If it had been a Winchester or early SA operating rod it wouldn't have lasted long.

Yes the business these days is making "all-original WW2 rifles." The correctors help the CMP's bottom line even as they make WW2 Garands uncollectible.

Same thing with muscle cars. Someone wants to take a peach orchard muscle car and try to make it new again.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Same thing with muscle cars. Someone wants to take a peach orchard muscle car and try to make it new again.
    I would not mind owning a bone stock '71 Dart Swinger with a 318 and a 2-barrel Carter, that nobody messed with. But the days of those coming out of estate sales are long past. In the 70's those Mopars were also "old people's cars" because they cost a bit less than what GM and Ford were asking for Granadas, Skylarks or Pontiacs.

And the magazine articles about the sporterizing of M1903s. Seemed like a good idea at the time, didn't it?

It was a sensible thing to do back in the fifties. But then no one was paying attention to what was a really valuable rifle. Some very nice stuff got cut up with the run of the mill. I think Herter's and at least one other outfit did some really nice work on them. Their stuff is collectable. The model 1930 by NRA was pretty well done.
    Last edited by dryheat; 08-29-2022 at 02:38.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    It was a sensible thing to do back in the fifties. But then no one was paying attention to what was a really valuable rifle. Some very nice stuff got cut up with the run of the mill. I think Herter's and at least one other outfit did some really nice work on them. Their stuff is collectable. The model 1930 by NRA was pretty well done.
    There were so many of them and so cheap, even for the currency ration back then. Plus we didn't know our gun rights would ever be in jeopardy. We figured they would always be there if we ever wanted one.

Who knew they would dry up and become so valuable?

Yes what is done is done.

But I have never been a big fan of "corrected" rifles. I have some from CMP that bear that grade, but they were bought more for the price/condition point, at a time when the CMP was long on super-nice rifles from the Greek returns.

10. Default

So, I came across a Garand operating rod marked NM. It's a post war model marked 7790722-RA. It's in very good condition. I put it up on Ebay on Saturday. After 12 hrs. I had one "look". I figured something was wrong so I took down the ad and put it up again on Sunday being very careful to put it in the right category. 24 hrs. later I have one "look".
    I put up another part a few weeks ago. After a week I had 3 looks. It wasn't a real sexy part so I scratched my head a little and moved on. The NM oprod is a cool part.
    This is incredible. I talked to another seller yesterday and he said the same thing. It seems something has happened to the gun market. I know inflation and all that has an impact but how tight are people getting with their money? No funds for toys or has the gun market just died from fear of confiscation? Or people have finally gotten past the Milsurp collecting.
    Now I have sold some parts recently. Not a lot of looks either but the guys that wanted them really wanted them.
    I am not "in the business". I'm just doing some housekeeping these days. Remember, this isn't the politics forum.
    You are too impatient Dry Heat , I've sold things on Ebay since it's inception and one thing I've learned is that in a 7 day auction all the money to be made is in the last 6 hours.

Another lesson is that if you have something worth $ 100 and you start it out at $ 75 ... you might get your $100 . But show some nuts and post it at a starting of $1.00 with no reserve ....it will go $ 125 every time .

Garand stuff is well past its time . All collectibles reach a price point where collectors start collecting something more affordable . Hummels were worth a fortune at one time, hard to give them away now.

20 years ago and more the Garand forum here had hundreds of new postings a day ..... interest has passed with the high cost