Default Am I missing something here?

Seen this nice M88 on gun broker last week. At that time bidding was around 500.00 and figured it would sell at around 1500 to 1800. Other than having a low serial number which is common for 1891 manufactured rod bayonets I saw nothing else that would warrant the final selling price.
    Al had nicer rifles that he sold for way less not too long ago. Check it out!! https://www.gunbroker.com/item/942166327

Blog Entries

looks like 2 guys decided to see who would win after the $1600 mark on the bids

It's an extremely nice rifle, well worth a premium price, but that's still kinda high. While out-of-order numbers ARE established as a legitimate variant of the M1888, I think most collectors prefer one from the normal run - mine (also 1891) is 527686, in about the same condition. What DID immediately catch my eye was the "1882" in the description - on the basis that IF the serial was (it isn't) from one of the 26 28" barrel guns. THAT might, to some, be an inducement to go higher on price. Beyond that, I think the pissing contest scenario IS the most likely.