Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default E2 = Canoe paddle

Finished up some work on a precision .223 bolt rifle early so I figured it was a good time to monkey around with my E2. I normally shoot this with a Burris 4.5 - 14 mounted on a Bassett rail mount. This morning I decided to go more traditional scopes for a couple of photos. This rifle is an LRB M14 sa with all usgi parts.
    First photos are with an M40 3-9 on an AWC mount. Second are M-84 on a MC-1 mount. Whatta Hobby!

E2 1.jpgE2 2.jpgE2 4.jpgE2 5.jpgE2 6.jpg

Blog Entries

M1A.jpg

GI Stock with all the bits installed,
    correct sling
    US Modified Bipod

every thing is US except the receiver, it is a Springfield I converted to NFA in 85 or early 86

They do look like canoe paddles but they have a good feel to them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Impressive rifles gentlemen!

Steve

5. Default

Reminds me of an FAL. The M-15 was officially adopted as the BAR version of the M-14 but never put into production.
    Last edited by blackhawknj; 08-30-2022 at 11:21.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawknj View Post
    Reminds me of an FAL. The M-15 was officially adopted as the BAR version of the M-14 but never put into production.
    From my readings the M-14 was never that controllable during FA fire. The selector switch was sometimes replaced with a lock to prevent soldiers from selecting from semi to FA mode thus saving ammo and missed shots.

The canoe paddle stock with the front folding grip, the heavy steel bipod and muzzle break apparently did little to tame the muzzle rise. If it had worked and put into production this would have been known as the M-15.

A 3 round burst application like the later m-16's might have been the solution?

Overall the M-14 became more of a Garand replacement rather than a Garand and BAR replacement.

The myth about not being able to control the M14 on fa is just that. Proper training and trigger manipulation overcomes most problems. The majority of M14s issued to our forces in Vietnam included an installed lockout button so that was not a problem. The internet googleboys have made this out to much more serious than it really was.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    The myth about not being able to control the M14 on fa is just that. Proper training and trigger manipulation overcomes most problems. The majority of M14s issued to our forces in Vietnam included an installed lockout button so that was not a problem. The internet googleboys have made this out to much more serious than it really was.
    true,

mine is quite controllable even with the standard wood stock ,

the slip over comp helps just a bit, (not present on the pic of my MG)

the selector lock was to keep troops from wasting ammo,

the M16 had one available as well, a funky aluminum piece that was installed between the grip and the receiver, to stop the selector from being turned to full, that most folks broke off

Never saw the lockout for the M16. Did run into tons of Army boys in our EM club that bragged about how many mags they had dumped that day. Seemed kinda silly. Never hear a Marine comment on anything like that.

I once fired FA M14 offhand . . . . .

I figured I’d let the web sling hang from the front swivel to the ground and place my foot firmly on the other end.

It helped!