Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Ramrod bayonet Trapdoor rifle information

Hello all, I recently acquired an 1888 trapdoor and was told I should ask questions about it here. The SN is 517439 and has an 1891 acceptance mark on the stock. What attracted me to the rifle was the condition and the markings on the stock. 65 over 592. Does anyone have any insight into that? Would something like that be covered in the SRS?

Inside the stock was a pattern 1879 tool, but I'm unsure how to actually use it.

Go here for many answers to your questions:

The U.S. Springfield Trapdoor Rifle Information Center

Spend a rainy day perusing this ENTIRE website!

3. Default

Thank you!

The 1879 tool comprises two screwdrivers, a mainspring clamp, a tumbler punch, and a band-spring punch.

IF you need to dismount the lock, after CAREFULLY removing it from the stock (which you should NOT do unless you NEED to), you bring the hammer to full cock and slip the notch in the tool over the compressed mainspring, then let the hammer down and the spring can be wiggled off the plate. Set it aside, as it needs to be reinstalled with the spring compressed. To separate the hammer, set the lock on a couple of small wooden blocks, remove the hammer screw (It helps to have TWO M1879 tools (they are cheap and handy) or you could remove said screw earlier. The large blade on the tool is nicely curved so as not to slip. Stick the pin into the screw hole - you will note that there is a shoulder which just spans the width of the tumbler shank. Take a hammer and strike the little bulge on the side of the tool opposite the punch. The whole idea is to drive the tumbler out of the hammer - NEVER, EVER, attempt to pry the hammer off from the lock plate side.

You should NEVER want to remove a band spring, but if you do, the little pin on the tool will get it started properly, rather than using a nail and buggering things up. Be VERY careful of chipping the wood when removing ANY metal component inletted into it. The nicer the gun, the more this applies . . .
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 08-22-2022 at 03:59.

5. Default

Thank you so much everyone! Do you know where I can buy a copy of the SRS data so I can look up the Serial Number?

Long out of print and very expensive (often over $100 per each of the 5 books) THEN you have to take the 20-1 gamble that your gun is among the 5% with something known about it! There is no longer any continuous production record - they were destroyed LONG ago.

Just post the number and one of us with the books will check.

Hello
    This database is searchable

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26579966016...Bk9SR9LnucfbYA
    The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms....

I believe the seller of the thumb-drive is a bald-faced LIAR, and the item should be withdrawn from sale for copyright infringement.

Several statements in his VERY amateurish, and overly hyped, description do not ring true at all, and the format shown is an EXACT copy of the SRS layout. How is that if it isn't SOME sort of scan? If it was fresh work, as claimed, then WHY be so stupid as to duplicate the original.

I'd guess it's the same kinda guy that sells repro inspector cartouche stamping dies.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 08-27-2022 at 12:15.

9. Default

Thank you all for the help! I would hate to buy a boot leg copy and support illegal acts.

No SRS listing for your serial number.