Default 50 yd rimfire suggestions.

Been doing a " little thinking". I know that's dangerous. For those working at their 50 yd rimfire skills, I think it is important to take wind into consideration. Even a slight breeze can alter the path of a 22 or 17 at short distances by considerable amounts if you are trying to hit a tiny bullseye. I try to use a short chunk of surveyor's tape suspended at the approximate height of the bullet path. Not expensive, but I like to use a driveway marker with the tape tied to the top. After a short time shooting using this as a reference, you can become an expert at " reading the wind" at least at 50 yards.

Photos are of my home range this morning. Getting ready for some 50 yd practice. Whatta Hobby!

Range 1.jpgRange 2.jpg

50 yards is a lot of fun and good trigger time practice. Just came in from a little range time with one of my 10-22s. This one is a Volquartsen build using all their parts in a Bell and Carlson chassis. Scope is a Night Forces NX8 4-32x50mm mounted on NF rings over an EGW 20 moa rail. Ammo today was Lupua X-ACT. Overcast , 69 degs and 99% humidity. Shot prone using a Harris bipod. Whatta Hobby!

8 21 22 1.jpg8 21 22 5.jpg8 21 22 2.jpg8 21 22 3.jpg8 21 22 4.jpg
    Last edited by nf1e; 08-21-2022 at 06:43.

3. Default

99%? That Independence Day was the day I left the east coast in the rear view mirror.

Seen the weather station humidity maxed out a lot this Summer.

Good idea there with the strip of flagging.

At my outdoor range, which is 25 yards up to 300 yards, I have a lot of 3-4 foot tall weeds growing alongside the range which indicates wind speed pretty well along the whole distance!

Blog Entries

Major Tom,, those weeds are Natural Organic locally sourced, free range and recycled wind flags,

the best kind

Blog Entries

Major Tom,, those weeds are Natural Organic locally sourced, free range and recycled wind flags,

the best kind

Indoor malls would be the ideal place to shoot. They're air conditioned/heated, no wind, coffee shops, restaurants, rest rooms, well lit and plenty of room. If people would just stay in the shops and stop wondering out in the way though.

Had to give up trying to shoot here in the Southeast. So much daily rain has resulted into weeds so high the back-up sensors on my rear bumper cause alarm when backing up.
    Last edited by Allen; 08-24-2022 at 03:34.