Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

The spare parts container are very rare and expensive as they were quickly discarded, but there are reproductions that are virtually identical to the originals.

2. Default

I’m including the information from Brophy’s book. As you can see these were used between 1911 to 1924, but obviously not on every rifle. Yes, the are uncommon as this one is the only one I have seen in 40+ years. They include a striker, firing pin and extractor. As to reproductions I have not seen one, but if someone has one of these reproductions I would like to see a photo. Years ago a gentleman who was superb at wood working told a friend of mine these almost impossible to reproduce (though I understand he did at least one.

- - - Updated - - -

82F72623-057E-44D8-9EDF-0FDFC5B37422.jpg48657633-18C1-4F6D-B30E-F31B00B57678.jpg

3. Default

Over the years I probably had 20 to 25 pre 1920 1903 Springfield rifles. On each one I thought maybe I might luck up on one of the spare parts kits, but never did. Accumulated quite a few of the nickel cleaning kits.

The one I wish I had kept had a W.E.S. acceptance mark. Frank Hosmer was the government inspector for Springfield Armory at Colt for virtually all of the Model 1911 pistols. In 1916 he was briefly assigned to San Antonio Arsenal, and W.E. Strong replaced him during this time. 1916 was the lowest production year for the Model 1911 pistol, and Strong was inspector for only a few of these pistols. After selling the W.E.S. 1903 rifle I found a Model 1911 Colt with the inspection mark of Strong.

Bill Bentz is reproducing the wooden spare parts container. dcm450shtr@gmail.com.

Good Luck!

J.B.

5. Default

Hi John
    I?ll give him a call. I?d like to see one of those reproductions.

6. Default

I am currently producing a faithful reproduction of the spare parts container for the 1903 Springfield rifles that was originally produced between 1911 through 1917. According to Brophy, they were an item of issue until 1924.
    I am making them in both walnut and maple, as were the originals.

Price per unit is $95 plus postage/insurance.

FOR MORE INFORMATION AND PICTURES, CONTACT ME AT:

dcm450shtr@gmail.com
    He even lowered his price....