Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What does the Z mean?

I saw a Remington 03-A3 with 9/43 stamped on the barrel for sale at a flea market today. The receiver was stamped with a capital Z as shown in the photo. What is the significance of the Z?

F4C1C47C-724F-4EE4-A996-F9C51C4EE10F.jpg

Blog Entries

duplicate serial number found , so they added a z to one to make it unique

If I remember correctly the Z prefix was added when Remington used a block of serial numbers on 03-A3's which had already been assigned to 1903-A4 production. When the mistake was found the Z was added to the 03-A3 to create a different serial number.

So, does that add to the value of this particular 03-A3? The asking price was $875.

Blog Entries

you are in PA correct?

here in VA, $875 for a nice 1903A3 is a very good deal,

more details please

This flea market is in Andover, OH and is open every weekend throughout the summer. It often yields some interesting old military relics. I bought my 1700s Brown Bess bayonet and several other bayonets there. Today, in addition to the 03-A3, there was a different vendor selling a sporterized Eddystone M1917 ($500) and another selling 5 swords. Probably the most interesting was a Justice M1840 heavy cavalry saber known during the Mexican and Civil War as the Wristbreaker ($700) but no scabbard.

Since I already own a minty 03-A3, I passed on it and everything else.

The rifle appeared to be in undisturbed condition. All the usual cartouche stampings were on the stock plus the R-RA rebuild stamp. There weren’t an abundance of dents and dings on the stock but the surface was dry, dirty and oxidized. The stampings were faint as if it had been handled a lot. There was a plastic wire tie around the well oiled bolt so I couldn’t open it and view the bore. All metal components were Parkerized and the front sight was protected by a hood. I didn’t look for the R stamping on the sling swivels, but the butt plate had a fine cross hatch pattern so it was made by Remington.

Bolt should be blue, but can't tell much else from photo. Only barrel, receiver, and safety were originally Parkerized.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Bolt should be blue, but can't tell much else from photo. Only barrel, receiver, and safety were originally Parkerized.
    The bolt was Parkerized along with everything else.

Edit - the front part of the Parkerized bolt is visible in the photo. Scuff marks can be seen on the extractor ring so it has some evidence of use.
    Last edited by Merc; 07-31-2022 at 06:51.

Blog Entries

which would be correct with the rebuild stamp