Default Difference between a Cadet and Short rifle 50-70

Ok, I know the cadet rifle is about 3 inches shorter than the standard Trapdoor. But what is the difference with the cadet and a short rifle in 50-70?
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain

I think that a pear has been slipped in here with the apples and oranges.

The 3" (between the bands) difference applies to the 1868 Rifle vs. the 1869 Cadet (as well as of course, the subsequent 1873s, etc.) and it does so because of the fact that nearly all parts interchange and the length is the major difference.

By introducing the term "Short Rifle" you invoke an early period which had different rules. The short rifle is a Model 1866 which was repaired at SA due to muzzle damage. About 1100 were done in 1871, being cut to the same length as the standard M1868, but retaining the screwed-in rod, set back from muzzle, of the original. The cadet of the period was a VERY special arm, almost totally miniaturized, shorter butt, special lock plate date 1867, etc. not really comparable to anything.

The water is further roiled by the thousands of Model 1866s shortened by firms such as Bannerman. They fit NO standard, and are neither an original SA "short rifle", nor a cadet.

I hope that helps.

I have a 50-70 cadet and this rifle is shorter than the cadet by 1 inch at the muzzle and at the nose cap. The short rifle has the standard butt plate and the trigger guard with the sling swivel.
    Last edited by 1mark; 07-29-2022 at 02:37.

Quote Originally Posted by 1mark View Post
    I have a 50-70 cadet [WHAT MODEL] and this rifle is shorter than the cadet by 1 inch at the muzzle and at the nose cap. The short rifle has the standard butt plate and the trigger guard with the sling swivel.
    Sorry, cannot help you without pictures - nothing (at least nothing legitimate) is 1" shorter than a proper cadet, which I'm assuming is a Model 1869? A proper short rifle would have the 1866 action and would be longer than a cadet. The ONLY TD to have a "short rifle" version is the M1866.

Thank you Dick for your help. The more I look at this rifle it looks more like a pieced together Trapdoor. And is not a short rifle. Posting pictures will be a little while.