1. Default Smith Corona Stock Question

Hi All,

I haven't been on in a while. 11 years to be exact, and my log-on info still works! Anyway, I recently bought a sporterized Smith Corona Model 1903A3, 36896xx, barrel date 5-43. What's there is in excellent condition but Bubba took a saw to the stock. I have had a stock for years that I always thought to be Smith Corona. It has the stamps forward of the trigger guard and has a 7/16 circle P to the rear of it. My question is about the rear barrel band spring mortise. It is straight across and not rounded as the identified Smith Corona stocks pictured online. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by jnz View Post
    Hi All,

I haven't been on in a while. 11 years to be exact, and my log-on info still works! Anyway, I recently bought a sporterized Smith Corona Model 1903A3, 36896xx, barrel date 5-43. What's there is in excellent condition but Bubba took a saw to the stock. I have had a stock for years that I always thought to be Smith Corona. It has the stamps forward of the trigger guard and has a 7/16 circle P to the rear of it. My question is about the rear barrel band spring mortise. It is straight across and not rounded as the identified Smith Corona stocks pictured online. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Phil
    The only way I can tell a SC from a Remington A3 stock is if there is a ?diamond enclosing a number? stamping among the other stampings just in front of the triggerguard.
    The SC will have it . . . . .the Remington will not.

As you noted, the cut for the lower band retaining spring is round on the SC and square on the RR. Also, the SC has the 1/2" circle P proof where the Remington is 7/16".

The early Remington stocks had the FJA and Ordnance mark, but no RA. Later Remington stocks had a RA in addition to the other marks. Smith Corona only had the FJA and Ordnance mark throughout production.

N.E. New Jersey, west of the 'gorllia' building.

The circled "P" proof is the best and fastest way to tell. 1/2" is S-C, 7/16" is RA.