Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lpcullen View Post
    My GF's son in law just bought a Hyundai Ionic 5. I think it cost him around 50 grand. He loves it but I think he spends a lot of time at the charging station. I think he said it only has a range of around 300 or so miles and a thirty minute charge only gives him 80%. Don't get me wrong it's a cool car but I think he jumped the gun getting it. Here in Oklahoma I don't think the infrastructure is in place yet to have a bunch of these EV's. There just aren't that many places to charge them.
    From what all I read the charging stations are not in place anywhere as needed. Something I brought up before, with a 30 minute charging time think of how many stations a single "gas station" would need. A lot of wasted real estate. Pumping gasoline only takes about 5 minutes so even long lines waiting to fill up will move.

Ideally these type vehicles would work great in cities where short commutes are common but here again, the real estate to supply all those charging stations would not be there. Many (in cities) park on the streets if they can own a car at all so charging at home would be out for them too.

Retiree's such as myself could make good use of one but the added cost would never justify what little gas I use these days plus the electricity needed isn't free either.

So much info is not available yet like depreciation, battery life (which will vary by manf and usage), range at Interstate speeds, a/c and heater drain, battery cost, life of the motors, competent service mechanics and on and on.

Mostly a toy?
    Last edited by Allen; 08-04-2022 at 08:23.

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    the idea is not to get everyone doing long distance on them,
    the idea is to keep the distances short, and have you use the Train, bus, or whatever for long distance,
    The last time I was on a train, 39 hours from St. Louis to New Port News Va, 1966. All of us GI's were loaded on to the last car. It had wooden benches for seating. That train pulled onto sidings to let freight trains pass us. We were not allowed to use the dining car. Had to eat out of vending machines at the stations where we stopped to pick up and discharge passengers. I'll never get on a train again.

3. Default

electric cars = electric heat so your mileage will soon be out in the winter

Quote Originally Posted by pcox View Post
    The last time I was on a train, 39 hours from St. Louis to New Port News Va, 1966. All of us GI's were loaded on to the last car. It had wooden benches for seating. That train pulled onto sidings to let freight trains pass us. We were not allowed to use the dining car. Had to eat out of vending machines at the stations where we stopped to pick up and discharge passengers. I'll never get on a train again.
    Sorry you guys were treated like garbage. Must have been a free service of the RR or a result of a special price negotiated by the govt'.

Now days you can travel in style on Amtrak which travels at 150mph on 100 year old tracks that were designed for 35mph. You will get to your destination quicker too providing your destination is heaven cause it seems they have wrecks on a daily basis.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Default

In 1969 after completing Jump School those of us who were headed to Fort Bragg were loaded onto busses, IIRC we had a meal stop.
    My mother-b. 1913 remembered the Baker Electric owned by a friend of her grandmother. Gave a very quiet ride, but a slow one.
    There was the Stanley Steamer, I recall reading in the late 50s that the Turbine Car was the Car of Tomorrow, then there was the Wankel Engine.

I remember the Wankel. Someone always comes up with something edgy.

-But its highly experimental design made it the most aerodynamically unstable aircraft ever built.-

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/gr...ane/index.html

I agree with the sentiment. How do all those EC's get charged up on a 300 mile trip on Memorial day?

Turbines work well.
    Last edited by dryheat; 08-05-2022 at 09:54.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Blog Entries

well Dryheat,

it we put a windmill on top of the EV,, then as it drives down the road, the windmill would generate enough electricity to charge the car,

what could go wrong?

Blog Entries

well Dryheat,

it we put a windmill on top of the EV,, then as it drives down the road, the windmill would generate enough electricity to charge the car,

what could go wrong?

Perpetual motion. There ought to be a way..
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Anybody remember the Suzuki RE5? Wankel engine. Weight of a Gold Wing with 500cc displacement. Saw one once, heard it run. Strange bird.