Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Trapdoor Carbine With Star Marked Receiver

Greetings, This is my first gun post here on jouster. I recently purchased what I believe to be a rough but original TD carbine. The serial number is 187970.
    Sadly it has lived a hard life. The hammer has been trimmed, the M90 barrel band has been ground down and the bore has been crudely reamed out. It also has a homemade front sight blade (looks like they used a penny) and the Buffington rear sight slide lock has been replaced by a filed down screw. Amazingly the threads in the sight are not damaged. The stock is also cracked and has been glued long ago.

From my research on the internet the serial number dates it to 1882 (which matches the cartouche on the stock) and the star indicates it was one of the carbines assembled with a new receiver, barrel and stock mated to the reclaimed parts of older weapons below #50,000 for the militia/national guard. The rear sight is C marked and the butt plate has the door for the cleaning rods. It is missing the saddle ring but has the bar.

I just wanted to see if I was correct about it being an original carbine and if it possibly shows up in SRS. I'm planning on getting it back to shooting shape. Look forward to your replies and thanks for having me here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lpcullen; 07-23-2022 at 12:59.

2. Default

I replaced the hammer today with one I got from Al Frasca. It looked more brown on his website but at least it's original. I believe it is a later model than what it had originally. More of a bevel at the bottom of the hammer face. I also have a rear sight slide lock and M90 barrel band on the way. Now just to get it to Bob Hoyt and have the barrel relined and it should be a shooter. I'm sure I will have more money than it's worth tied up in it before it's all said and done but I'm having fun trying to bring it back to life. It will still be a beater but at least it will be a shootable beater. These don't pop up around here that often.

I believe the hammer installed on there is original, just had the top ground down for what ever reason my guess to avoid snagging. picture of muzzle would help but all looks original from pictures provided just need the ring, and your carbine most likely has the normal Buffington sight barrel band without the protector. the one with sight guard was made in the 1890s but early carbines have had them updated with them. aA picture of rear sight also will help.

4. Default

Here are some pics. They aren't very good. I couldn't get the camera to focus well on the sight. It is C marked in the right corner. I have a Buffington barrel band without the protector coming along with the M90 so I have options. Thanks for your reply mr. j. I appreciate it.
    Last edited by lpcullen; 07-23-2022 at 06:09.

Looks good to me. i would still hold on to the hammer since i strongly believe it was originally to the rifle and put on there when first assembled at SA. Yes the band was ground down.
    Last edited by mr.j; 07-23-2022 at 06:17.

6. Default

That hammer was so hard to get off the tumbler I think it has been on there since put on by Springfield Armory! I will hold on to it. I think it is an early one.
    Last edited by lpcullen; 07-23-2022 at 06:28.

I also have a stared carbine with an 1881 cartouche which matches serial number. It was updated for the SAW and has the Buffington rear sight with the 1890 rear sight protector. The carbine has a NJ cartouche on the stock and also NJ mark on the barrel. I purchased it on GB a couple years ago. It was covered in paint and all metal parts were covered in some type of grime. I did not know at time of purchase that it was a stared carbine. I was able to remove all paint along with the grime and the carbine turned out to be really nice. The bore is shiny along with some pitting at the muzzle but shoots rather accurate. With a little elbow grease I think my 1000.00 investment was well worth it.
    I was also going to send it to Bob Hoyt to recline the barrel but he kinda talked me out of it. Since the pitting is limited and shoots well I should just leave it be.
    Good luck repairing yours and giving it a new life!

8. Default

Sounds like you got a winner there Carl. Got any pics? I'd like to see it.

I would never reline the barrel of ANY original carbine until I'd used up the last remaining POS chop-job, of which there are hundreds, if not thousands, out there.

10. Default

Dick, Please expound on this if you would. So relining would hurt the value/historical integrity of the carbine not increase it? I've got other TD rifles to shoot so not shooting this one wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Plus it would save me some money and a very long wait time. Should I have not replaced the hammer either? I appreciate your input and look forward to hearing back from you.