Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Nice to meet you PWC. I'm from Minco. About 15 miles south of El Reno.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lpcullen View Post
    Nice to meet you PWC. I'm from Minco. About 15 miles south of El Reno.
    My GG Parents were OK pioneers; as Sooners they lost their home on the land rush but did settle in the Yukon area with the No. Canadian River as the north border pf their land. My G'ma was born in a covered wagon in 1886 on Ok Indian Terr. near Apache Ok.

Welcome aboard LP. I believe you will find the most knowledgeable people here concerning specific firearms as you see the listing of forums. We have the fortune to have some experts lurking here and they pop up when the discussion gets really serious. You will find the Political forum the most active in the discussions and the viewpoint being argumentative. That viewpoint centers often on personality traits often brought to print by another persons viewpoint that is the opposite. There is also occasional "name calling" which I believe to be an affectionate nick name they give one another. So be prepared in your endeavors here. Good Luck. Above all, have fun.

By the way, I had a TDY assignment for a Tech School at a place called Altus OK. that was in the early 60's. Never could drink the water there. Drank a Pepsi most of the time. Stopped in town in one of the Mom and Pop stores was looking for a bargain in any firearms they might have had. Mentioned it to the Older Lady that was running the store that day. Asked if that was always like that or something recent. Her answer, it has been like that a long time. She then said, the best way she could describe its taste was it tasted like a wet dog smells. by golly she described it perfectly.
    Last edited by JohnMOhio; 07-24-2022 at 07:22.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

4. Default

I'm a ways north east of Altus. Drove through it a time or two but don't think I ever tried the water

LP I believe you are lucky in that respect. Also in driving through you car did not need any water for the radiator.. Don't think I would have put it in my car. Might eat through the hoses or the radiator. Just wonder if there has been any change to the water supply.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

6. Default

I am told my family got me out of Oklahoma as soon as possible. I started in Ardmore and finished in Altus. If not for my dad's mother, I would not know anything about Oklahoma or the family, After I left Oklahoma life got interesting.

My wife and I went to Norman Oklahoma to watch Alabama, play OU, one of our grandsons pitched for Alabama. What in the world could go wrong? Finally, I got into the stadium and seated, that left me to try to make sense of everything. An Oklahoma baseball booster walked up and ask me to tell him everything he needed to know about Alabama, I told him to forget Alabama, I wanted him to tell me about things I needed to know about Oklahoma. He agreed and then ask me about things that did not make sense to me. I pointed out the sign on the left field fence,
    I said the sign says Oklahoma won the COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPONSHIP IN 1951, and then they won it again in about 1994, I suggested that was a long absence. I told him it was 21 tears before Oklahoma returned to Omaha to compete. He then asked me if I knew how many years the players waited for their champions ring, I told him if they waited for one year it would have been too long. He then informed me the players waited for 21 years for their rings.

He told me the players were told they were not good enough to go to Oamaha, they were told it was a waste of time and too expensive. That team would have hitchhiked, slept 6 to the bed and did what they would have to do to eat. they were going to Omaha. After they won, they were instructed to go straight to the busses and return to Oklahoma. And the booster asked me if I knew who was the Athletic Director at that time? And I said no. He said it was Bud Wilkerson.

I wanted to root for Oklahoma, problem, we have a granddaughter that attends Ol 'Miss. My son asked me if anyone had warned Tennessee about Notre Dame, I told him I could not support Tennesse, sure enough Notre Dame eliminated Tennessee.

Next year.

F. Guffey

One of my favorite people was Buddy Ryan, he was interesting.

Ohio had their problems; I attended a school that had a coach that liked to hit players, but he was to be feared. I looked up and there he was, I hit him, I was so proud of the coaches, trainers and players, they held their breath until the coach started to breath, it must have taken him at least 4 minutes to quit making those horrible sounds, a few players helped him back to the huddle.

F. Guffey

7. Default

I used to know a guy that played for Bud Wilkerson at OU when they won the national championship in '55 and '56. He said he was a tough coach. Sadly he passed away a couple of years ago.