Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default (Relative) Presence of 1886 Carbines in SRS

All-
    A few years ago I gave up my Winchester collecting habit (narrow interest area of post-1898 custom shop lever guns but it got over-the-top). Had not ever considered collecting Trapdoors until a couple of weeks ago. Picked up quickly that SRS info is desirable, and also that only ~5% of Trapdoors are listed.

My question is: are the 1886 Experimental Carbines any better represented, or would the expectation be that only 50 or so are in SRS records?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Trey

That 5% figure, like all "averages", can be quite misleading at times! I did an (admittedly) quick scan and came up with just 6. That arm is NOT well represented in SRS. My "More .45-70s" book has 54 numbers, gleaned over 50 years of research. The M1886 24"XC is virtually impossible to fake, so any reasonable number found/reported is likely genuine. They mostly occur in the 330-340K range.

The best-represented rare arm, by far, is the M1884XRB; nearly 20% of the 1000+ made are listed, and I am fortunate enough to own one of them.

Do you have (or know of) an XC? If so, I'd like to add the number to my list. Or, was it just a general question? Thanks.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 07-19-2022 at 11:26. Reason: More info

3. Default

Thanks Dick. My prior collecting involved original Sharps as well as the previously mentioned Winchesters and I've had to remind myself (many times) that the inspector / shipping clerk / quartermaster almost certainly never considered anyone would find future value in those records. Winchester records are generally good, later Sharps get sketchy, but having 0.6% to 5% (averages notwithstanding) hit rate is a new one for me.

Yes I am looking at a particular XC. I realize that's probably jumping right into the deep end as a starting point on Trapdoors. But, I gravitate towards harder-to-find firearms and the price seems below-market for the condition, so I figure if I don't get the Trapdoor itch I am unlikely to take a loss.

I'm looking at these because I have been thinking of going after original Sharps again. But there are so few of those it can be difficult to maintain interest. At least with Trapdoors there appear to be many to look over while seeking out the right one(s).

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by taw1126 View Post
    Yes I am looking at a particular XC. I realize that's probably jumping right into the deep end as a starting point on Trapdoors. But, I gravitate towards harder-to-find firearms and the price seems below-market for the condition, so I figure if I don't get the Trapdoor itch I am unlikely to take a loss.
    As long as you get it vetted or understand what you're looking for, I wouldn't worry too much about 'jumping in the deep end.' My current impression of the market is that it is pretty hot for more standard stuff, but the rarities/curiosities seem to be throwing up good deals lately if you can recognize them.

That said, of course, that can be a double-edged sword if you decide to flip it.

As a point you probably already know, the XC buttstock cleaning rods are longer than the standard carbine cleaning rods, and are hard to come by. I'd consider their presence or absence a significant value added/detracted, as the case may be.

M1886 XC OA .jpgIf there is anything I can do to help with the vetting process, just let me know. At some point, if possible, I would appreciate the serial number, though. I was lucky that mine had the rods - most do not.

6. Default

Dick- serial number is 340178.

7. Default

I found another for sale S/N 340757

Thank you. First is new to me. I had 340165 and 340189, so - right in there.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 07-21-2022 at 07:48.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by taw1126 View Post
    I found another for sale S/N 340757
    that one will be pulled from sale,

and Dick, I realized I never sent you that thumbdrive , I will see if I can get that out asap

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    that one will be pulled from sale,

and Dick, I realized I never sent you that thumbdrive , I will see if I can get that out asap
    Thanks. POB1367 Colusa CA 95932