Default Morning All, need a short range match round for upcoming 200yd 80 round match..

Presently load for full yardage 800 NMC, are 68gr Sierra match over a load of W748, stuffed in a mil-spec, and standard rifle primer.

Recommend a 50 or 55 gr bullet and what velocity to for range.

Thanks.

Depends on the rifle. There are way too many variations for any one combination to be the right one for every rifle.

Blog Entries

52 gr SMK's do good

Have shot 52gr SMK over 25.5gr 748 in LC brass with good results. YMMV.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    Depends on the rifle. There are way too many variations for any one combination to be the right one for every rifle.
    true,

however Service Rifle is not benchrest or PRS, so you can share loads between rifles , as long as can a minute or 2 out of the loads, the rest is up to you, (as in are you a MOA offhand shot?)

I haven't had a chance to try this load but it has been highly recommended for 200 yards or less. WW cases, WW primer,. Hornady 60 grain flat base hollow-point. 25.0 grains of your same powder, W 748. Was informed when used in slow fire prone position, the X ring disappears. Note that the bullet listed is not their "premium" bullet such as the V-Max. Good Luck. If you try it, let us all know.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

Blog Entries

be careful with 748
    on a hot day keep your ammo out of the sun and if possible in a small cooler,

it will , as it heats up, change elevation

when I was using it , I kept my ammo out of the sun, and in one of those small cheap zipper top lunch bag/coolers

even on 100 yrd reduced courses the temp variation would be noticeable

Preaching to the choir, Rev.

Been doing that since switched to 748, for all rounds reloading.

9. Default

Lyman is correct on the warning of 748 in the heat ... decades ago we all went to Varget for a reason

Want to shoot light ... Sierra 53 flat base match over 8208 will work fine out to 200 in a 1x8 or 1x9 barrel ... 8208 with Sierra 69s ain't a bad choice either , particularly in a 1x8

that's just the personal experience of an amateur that's been to Perry