Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    All the M1 Carbine ammunition was non-corrosive and the barrels didn't get whipped out with jointed cleaning rods like the M1 Rifles did. Can't ever recall seeing an M1 Carbine with bad barrel or muzzle.

Sounds like it is still like it was when sold by the DCM 60 years ago.
    True if the rifle never left US service. If it did; it depends on who previously owned the rifle. The Koreans especially scrubbed all of their rifles, including M1 & M2 Carbines from the muzzle with steel cleaning rods. It is very possible to get a bad muzzle on a Korean Carbine. I remember a day on the range when a couple of fellows were shooting a nice looking Carbine. Unfortunately it was shooting patterns not groups. Sure enough it was a Korean return and the muzzle swallowed an M2 cartridge to the case mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    True if the rifle never left US service. If it did; it depends on who previously owned the rifle. The Koreans especially scrubbed all of their rifles, including M1 & M2 Carbines from the muzzle with steel cleaning rods. It is very possible to get a bad muzzle on a Korean Carbine. I remember a day on the range when a couple of fellows were shooting a nice looking Carbine. Unfortunately it was shooting patterns not groups. Sure enough it was a Korean return and the muzzle swallowed an M2 cartridge to the case mouth.
    I doubt this one ever left U.S. service. Check the paperwork.
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

3. Default

Friend has a 16-18 inch 300 Blackout. Little more noise and oomph but newer.

4. Default

It wasn't as much the steel rods wearing the barrels out as it was the jointed steel rods. They never fit together perfectly, and the misaligned joints cut away at the muzzle.

I think it was about 2000 when one of the local shops got about 20 of the Korean imports. Most failed the bullet text, and on a few the bullet went up to the cartridge case shoulder. Then there was three or four that had excellent bright bores with no muzzle wear.