1. Default Help to choose which M1A

Never shot an M1A but always wanted one. Shot one at our Garand Match today. Now I have the itch. Checked out Springfield Armory's website. What would you choose the M1A Standard or the Loaded in walnut. Only about a $ 200 difference. Or is this a no brainer? TIA

I'd go for the Standard. Springfield Armory used to use Boyd's stocks. Maybe they still do. The ones I looked at with the Boyds stock, the wood was over sized with a lot of 'hang over' which I did not care for. Wenig made stocks true to size, I have one which is exactly like the military stocks.

Love my Springfield Armory National Match. It is an early gun, but fantastic trigger, and very accurate. Liked it so much I bought a heavy barrel, but just never liked the additional weight with negligible improvement in accuracy. No improvement at all firing from standing.

Blog Entries

either will do, both are very good guns for the money and SA has good customer service if you ever needed it, (you likely will not)

they can be quite accurate out of the box,

if you are planning on going across the course with one or get into some precision long range stuff, then you will be chasing accuracy with a lot of $$$,

otherwise for casual fun, go for it