Thread: Winchester 1897

Default Winchester 1897

Can someone point me to where I can date, by serial #, the mfg of this shotgun, please? I usual haunt other CSP areas, such as Garand, M1903, reloading, etc. but have rarely posted anything here. Just when one feels savvy, one becomes a noob again. Thanks in advance.
    IMG_2157.jpg
    IMG_2158.jpg
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Blog Entries

Thanks lyman. 1918. Older than I expected.
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Mostly a participant in: WWI, "Banana Wars, WWII, Korean Police Action, & "2nd place SouthEast Asian" War games.

1918 manufacture date, but WWII-era heat shield. CYL on barrel. A stamp on stock I can't quite figure out. NO circle w/ P, no ordnance bomb, no martial markings I can see at all. Just a stamp on stock. Haven't started looking into history yet, but oddly it was acquired in Burma in mid-80's. Wonder how it got there.

Follow-up. The Winchester site dates my shotgun to 1918, but two other sites list it as 1919 through 1921, depending on site. The only stamp on my stock is a "W.B." in a box, which is the inspection stamp of Lt. Col. Waldemar Broberg. I see newly-made copies of the W.B. stamp being sold. Listed as "for re-stamping only." (eye-roll). So, either someone mocked up this "trench gun," or it is definitely post-WWI, as Broberg was USMA class of 1919 according to his tombstone. Therefore, he had a hand in post-WWI inspections only. Definitive either way that this is not a WWI shotgun.
    Waldemar Sven Broberg US Military Academy West Point Yearbook Photograph.jpg
    WSB gravestone.jpg

7. Default

The Winchester Collectors website will have more accurate serial number production dates than the other websites. If you care to divulge the serial number, I can tell you which month and year the receiver had the serial number applied.

Can you post a photo of the stock mark?

Message sent, Tom. Here's a pic of the stamp. Best I could muster.
    IMG_2259.jpg