Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cottonmouth has Rattlesnake for Lunch

Default Cottonmouth has Rattlesnake for Lunch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4j-3TIJALo

Crotalus bites the dust.

This happens to critters that have a brain the size of a sweet pea. A young Diamondback Rattlesnake gets way to close to a hungry water moccasin. Over the years I've watched this a few times and wondered how long that photographer had to sit still in a swamp in the middle of all those flies to get this video. The moccasin strikes Mr. rattler in the head then its all over except digestion.

There is a longer version you can watch if you wish that shows the whole feeding process. Just type in "cottonmouth eats rattlesnake" on you tube.
    Last edited by Art; 06-07-2022 at 04:24.

Wow!

Blog Entries

mean eating mean,,

we don't have rattlers here,, just Moc's and Coppperheads,

usually the black snakes eat them up

4. Default

That's interesting, thanks.

Andy Russel wrote about watching a grizzly ambush a black bear and eat it. That's a meal.

5. Default

Snakes: I am surrounded with 'Hoe down people', someone hollers SNAKE? and all of my friends grab a hoe and go for the snake's head and neck.
    I was visiting my father-in-law in Port Lavaca when he saw a snake. He went for the hoe while I am telling him the snake was a good one. He dropped the hoe down on the snake's neck and then turned to me and said, "now he is a good snake".

He took us on a tour of one the wetlands, he saw a snake crossing the road, he slammed on the brakes, threw the auto into revers and then backed over the snake all the while I was telling him the snake was a good snake. Everyone being conditioned chimed in claiming "now he is a good snake". My son and I went quail hunting with my son's lab. The lab found a rattler, my son was going to shoot the snake while I was telling him not to shoot. He wanted to know why I did not want him to shoot the snake. I told my son if he shot the snake the lab would think we were hunting snakes, I told my son I did not want to spend the next 4 days shooting snakes.

F. Guffey

6. Default

I have hunted rattlers in Okeene, Oklahoma and Lake Lugert in the Wichita Mountains. We had no problem finding them, the last one was the very last one. An overenthusiastic member of the group jumped down a small ravine, he squatted down to check what he could see in a den. I told him to stand up and he asked me why. When he made his jump, he landed in front of one, He did not have a lot of time to do anything. The snake struck him on the heal of one of his boots. And then I quirt, I told them I would see them at the car and that was the last time.

Not really, we went to a little creek called Little Sandy near Hollis, Oklahoma, we went grabbling for catfish. We pulled everything out of that creek but catfish.

F. Guffey

When I was just a little tyke I saw what I thought was a hose in my grandmothers back yard. I reached down to get it and it slithered off. Well I freaked and went in to tell Grandma about the snake. I told her it was black with white spots all over it. She said " That's my kingsnake let it alone. I told my mother about it and she said the kingsnake eats rats and "bad snakes." My grandmother was a rancher's daughter and a ranch wife, which I guess gave her a different view.

8. Default

When I was a kid my father met a fellow with a house in mountains around Thurmont and Catoctin Furnace MD, whose daughter was blind. He raised kingsnakes.
    Last edited by barretcreek; 06-10-2022 at 05:03.

9. Exclamation

I've burnt all my luck with snakes. I don't like them, try to avoid them but with time in Panama, SE Asia, Japan our southern states I have had the drama of near misses with Fer De Lance, Russel pit viper, rattle snakes, cotton mouth, copper head, Cobra, King Cobra, Mamushi, Habu, corral snake, Bushmaster and Democrats.

A life of being at the wrong place & time with bad snakes. That I was never bitten is pure outrageous luck and scares the hell out of me every time I pause to think of it.

My career in military has put me in more danger of being zapped by snakes than in the 3 Wars I've been in. Damned snakes scare the hell out of me. Good Snakes....I don't think so.

Good Democrats..highly improbable these days.
    Last edited by BlitzKrieg; 06-11-2022 at 08:54.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzKrieg View Post
    I've burnt all my luck with snakes. I don't like them, try to avoid them but with time in Panama, SE Asia, Japan our southern states I have had the drama of near misses with Fer De Lance, Russel pit viper, rattle snakes, cotton mouth, copper head, Cobra, King Cobra, Mamushi, Habu, corral snake, Bushmaster and Democrats.

A life of being at the wrong place & time with bad snakes. That I was never bitten is pure outrageous luck and scares the hell out of me every time I pause to think of it.

My career in military has put me in more danger of being zapped by snakes than in the 3 Wars I've been in. Damned snakes scare the hell out of me. Good Snakes....I don't think so.

Good Democrats..highly improbable these days.
    Skip,

if you can get out from under your rock this coming weekend, I'll buy you and the Squid a beer