Default stock screw threads

Hi,
    I have a semi-finished '03 walnut stock that I'm working on getting ready to go. None of the holes for the butt plate or rear swivel are drilled. Are the standard screws strong enough to use as taps to thread the holes? I have just enough screws to complete this project, so my concern is that if too much torque is needed getting them in the first time it may bugger up the slots. If needed I can buy some replacements, but just wondering if anyone here has done this before. The thread is an odd ball, looks to be a .218 x 11 (actual OD of the two small screws is .208"). I could make a tap if needed, but that seems overkill for just a few holes.

Thanks,
    Bob

What I have done is drill pilot holes for the screws, use soap/wax on the screw threads and most important,
    use a gunsmith set of screw drivers to match the screw slots. I then use the ratchet drive wrench on the screw
    driver to screw in the large screw without markings it up

OK, will give that a try. I do have some nice fitting screw drivers, and the soap is a great idea. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    What I have done is drill pilot holes for the screws, use soap/wax on the screw threads and most important,
    use a gunsmith set of screw drivers to match the screw slots. I then use the ratchet drive wrench on the screw
    driver to screw in the large screw without markings it up
    In addition, might I suggest . . . .

When screwing the screws in for the FIRST time . . . .do so WITHOUT the buttplate.

Run them in to about 1/2? of ?home.?

Less chance of scratching the plate (just in case the driver slips out of the slot.)

Soap on the threads worked great, no issues. I used a #19 drill (.166") as tap drill-tried a 5/32" first but that was just too tight. Ran the screws in a few turns then backed out till at full depth. The screw was pretty warm when done even with the soap as a lubricant. Thanks for the suggestions.