1. Default 1903A4 Bolt or Modified 03A3

Hello to all. I appreciate you taking the time to review my posting. I'm helping a friend sell a large number of USGI parts from her father's estate. I came across what appears to be an 03A4 bolt. I didn't want to post it for sale, as such, without verifying its authenticity first. I've read through this forum and others about "tells" to verify an A4 bolt but even so I am still having a hard time coming to a conclusion. I was hoping the discerning expert eyes of the forum members might help me in this endeavor. The link below is to a google photos album that I have created with pictures of the bolt. I tried taking pictures I believe will help with the identification process but if other angles will help please let me know and I can take and upload those photos, as well. Thank you in advance for any assistance that can be provided!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AupfWE8AfgUsPLCR8

From the photos it certainly has the appearance of an original 03-A4 bolt other than being refinished.

How are they different?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    From the photos it certainly has the appearance of an original 03-A4 bolt other than being refinished.
    Johnny P: Thank you for your insight, Sir. I was thinking the parkerized finish would not be original. That was an indicator that got me thinking possibly the the rest might be altered, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    How are they different?
    Finish or shape? The original finish was blue. As to shape, the bolts were altered to clear the scope. The bolt handle was turned down and dished to clear the scope. The stock was altered to clear the turned down bolt handle.

03-A3 top, 03-A4 bottom

Last edited by Johnny P; 05-04-2022 at 12:19.

6. Default

The finish is what was throwing me off initially. In doing my research I found that A4 bolts were always blued. There is always the scenario where someone could have refinished an original A4 bolt. The different finish got me thinking that there is always the possibility that someone could have tried to have an A3 bolt milled to match the profile of an A4. I would think that even with the best machining done there would be tells on whether or not it was an original A4 bolt. Those tells would be beyond my ability so I figured I would ask the pros.

Originally the only parts Parkerized/phosphate finished were the barrel, receiver, and safety. During rebuild everything was Parkerized.

You can't just mill down an A3 bolt to make an A4 bolt. The profile has been changed, requiring the cutout in the A4 stock for the bolt handle to turn down.

I concur with Johnny P. The bolt is authentic.

I will also mention that the stamped bayonet band on early Remingtons was parkerized.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 05-07-2022 at 10:29.