Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Iraq War-era flak jacket? Pics added

Had somebody tell me a Flak vest, circa Iraq War -era they had given to them. My guess is about 2002-2003 era. Classified as "Body Armor, Fragmentation, Protective Vest" made by Isratek. The usual "forest camouflage. Still has the armor sections in it. Maybe excellent condition, but not new.

1) Is it legal to own?

2) Approximate value?

3) Can it be sold?

I can probably post some pictures, if that would be helpful. Posted -- see below:

Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 04-12-2010 at 12:25. Reason: added pictures

Each state has different laws concerning ownership (in Kaliforina felons can't own it). I've seen prices in the area of $175-$195. Far as I know, it can be legally sold.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Can you post pictures of the nomenclature markings or tag with the stock numbers?These are rather scarce with the armor included and very saleable in the XL and larger sizes.The small and medium not so much so.

It is a size medium. I'll take some pictures and post them tomorrow.

I believe but am not certain that the DLA number indicates it was made in 1991.

I don't think there are any laws preventing ownership on these.A fragmention protection vest is not considered bullet proof for most purpose if I understand correctly.Maybe light handgun calibers but not full power rifle loads.

A friend who was in VN related the story of how one of the door gunners was hit by AK fire which penetrated the front of the vest,came out his back,hit the vest armor and riccocheted back into him leaving him pretty well shot up.
    Last edited by JBinIll; 04-13-2010 at 04:47.

Seen a Vietnam era flak jacket in a surplus store in Washington state, early 80's. Someone had taken the outer and inner shell off and used it for a center fire handgun penetration test. All the bullet holes were marked with a magic marker. Looked like it stopped everything up to and including the 44 magnum. The very last layer of the vest just barely trapped the 44 mag slug. Would of put a bad hurt on anyone wearing it.

Know someone over in Star Valley Wy. did a penetration test on same style vest with a 22 magnum. Penetrated both sides.

regards, dennis

DLA100-91-D-0385
    Defense Logistics Agency buying center 100. Contract awarded in fiscal year 1991.
    Not body armor as we now know it to be, but more a "flak" vest for stopping shrapnel. Jagged edges catch in the interior material, stopping them.
    Used in Iraq up to at least 2004 when the new SAPI plate carrying armor started to be fully fielded.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceS4803@aol.com View Post
    DLA100-91-D-0385
    Defense Logistics Agency buying center 100. Contract awarded in fiscal year 1991.
    Not body armor as we now know it to be, but more a "flak" vest for stopping shrapnel. Jagged edges catch in the interior material, stopping them.
    Used in Iraq up to at least 2004 when the new SAPI plate carrying armor started to be fully fielded.

Is there any way to determine a year date for manufacture using the Stock or DLA numbers?I'm trying to put together some VN War period field gear for my collection.Or am I confusing the usage of DSA and DLA numbers if there's a difference.

Edit:From information posted on the U.S.Militaria forum the DLA prefix was in use from 1978 thru 93.It then went to an SPO prefix.
    Last edited by JBinIll; 04-14-2010 at 08:35.

Do't know what this one is worth but a VN War period fragmentation vest sans armour just sold on another Forum for $10 after being marked down fron $15.

JBinIll,
    The contract would have been awarded to Isratex in FY 1991 (1 Oct 1990 to 30 Sep 1991). Delivery would have been anytime after 1 Oct 1990. Isratex may have a small supply on hand of recent manufacture and then went into production to complete the order.
    I would say this vest was made in 1991.