Default How can any war machine be protected from these lethal missiles ? ...

As Ukraine is showing, Javelins and other new type missiles are proving
    themselves to be lethal by destroying tanks and anything on four wheels
    or tracks. Aircraft of all types are falling prey to them as was a naval cruiser.
    The missile that hit the cruiser was travelling at close to 700 mph.
    The eighties Falkland war showed big ships to be vulnerable to sea skimming
    missiles - and that was forty years ago. What with rail guns and lasers thrown
    into the mix what chance has anything surviving for more than a few minutes ?
    Submarines though not impervious to detection would seem to have the best
    chance of surviving a full scale war - at least for a while.

My wife's uncle who was a sub-mariner used to say that anything on the surface was just another target.

I used to work with an ex submariner - he was around 5'5".
    It must have been handy being short in those fleet boats with low ceilings.

Hmm so maybe we shouldn't have been cowering behind the sofa all this time like some suggested, in mortal fear of Putin's wrath.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    Hmm so maybe we shouldn't have been cowering behind the sofa all this time like some suggested, in mortal fear of Putin's wrath.
    how many ships does he have that work? or rather work for an extended cruise,
    ditto the Chinese, not exactly known for reliability,

and who said anything about hiding behind a sofa?

meanwhile, re the Subs,
    good friend was a Squid, and he is maybe 5-4 and 135lbs,
    he said size mattered in a sub

6. Default

I think it safe to say the Russians got a gasoline enema. Completely underestimated Ukraine's ability to deter armor, air and sea power with missile technology. Game changing stuff for military doctrine in the future, this drone development on the modern battle field is a game changer.

I think one of the problems with Russian/Chinese/others reliability comes from stockpiling ammo and weapons then never replacing them with newer stock. They claim they have thousands of nukes and missiles. They probably do but how old are these?

Where the U.S. rotates and/or disposes of aging armament, Russia, it seems, doesn't.

I'm a firm believer on not underestimating them but they do appear to "toot their own horn" quite a bit. As soon as the U.S announced they had developed the MOAB the Russians quickly stated they had the FOAB (Father of all bombs). From what I read they used one not long ago during this Ukraine invasion and very little damage was done vs the MOAB used during the Trump administration to clear out the caves, tunnels and caverns in Afghanistan.

The Russian made scud missiles used during the gulf war with Iraq proved to be nothing more than giant fireworks with apparently no means to aim or navigate them.

Like the Chinese, they copy everything worthwhile made by others. They wait for new technology to develop then steal it, so there is a "lag factor" there.

So far, a lot of the fighting done by them against the Ukrainians is WW2 technology, the Ukraine's benefiting from hi-tech gifts from us and the UK.

I believe the Russians do have the hi-tech hypersonic missiles and such but how much do they have, how well does it work and why didn't they use such to make quick work against the Ukraine?

As far as the original topic, yes, combating against of Javelins, fast missiles and small drones is a problem for them and someday soon, a problem for us, as other countries develop and improve them as well. It may take an entirely different type of radar/defense system to detect them.
    Last edited by Allen; 05-04-2022 at 07:57.

One of my army jobs was organizing munitions destruction..
    It involved Sappers blowing up stuff that could be blown up.
    and 'deep sea dumping' stuff that couldn't.
    Ammo was still good but you've got to be ready for war so
    it gets replaced at regular intervals.
    (I suspected rifle ammo got sold off )

Just what we need to stop those high speed chases on the hiways. Don't expose regular people to potential crashes that they didn't ask for.
    I used to think they should have .50 cal in the grill but this is maybe better. It would make for better vid on the six o' clock. It's new, it's hip(that would be cool these day). Throw out the Ukraine card in some fashion.
    Of course, now maybe there is no use, since most crime is forgivable for one reason or another and if a civilian gets hurt because of a car chase it's a million dollar lottery prize. Car crashes not so much. Shooting that's where the money is.
    Last edited by dryheat; 05-07-2022 at 08:31.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

RPG's were bad enough on the M48's and APC's back in 68. I can't even imagine being a "tanker" today.