Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38503180144...523e5177f81e57

Auctions aren't necessarily a good indication of what something is worth. A $35 holster for $305.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/38503180144...523e5177f81e57

Auctions aren't necessarily a good indication of what something is worth. A $35 holster for $305.
    Been awhile since a genuine M3 went for $35. But I agree that $305 is a premium price.

The CMP M1911s might have juiced the market.

Blog Entries

if you take the time to look, you can get a good estimate by looking at several auctions,
    drop the high (2 guys drinking and bidding??) and the low, and take the rest as an average

re the holsters, and to some extent WW2 firearms, the year made, and maker add a premium to some buyers, but not all,
    but I suspect you know that

CMP rifles, especially the earlier ones are fascinating and values (what a a willing and educated buyer is willing to spend) can be all over the place on the current market. My son's Danish return Service Grade with mixed beech and walnut wood M/W of 2.8 was $400.00. Mine, with USGI walnut stock, a bit more of the mixed Parkerizing finish retaining and a M/W on a new VAR barrel of just under "0" was also $400.00. I bought mine right before the CMP decided to charge a $50.00 premium on VAR barrels. I think about $850.00 on the commercial market for his would be fair, but if I was going to sell mine(which as I said I wouldn't) I would probably ask $1,350.00-$1,500.00.

Our son's rifle is a good shooter. Mine is a great shooter, and definitely prettier but both were within the standards for Service Grade at the time. Both were absolute steals at $400.00 from the CMP 20 years ago.....time does fly
    Last edited by Art; 08-23-2022 at 11:03.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    Been awhile since a genuine M3 went for $35. But I agree that $305 is a premium price.
    Take a close look at that one. The belt snap at the bottom is missing. Too many nice ones out there to pay $305 for one that isn't complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Take a close look at that one. The belt snap at the bottom is missing. Too many nice ones out there to pay $305 for one that isn't complete.
    You're right! Oh that's going to be one mad buyer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    CMP rifles, especially the earlier ones are fascinating and values (what a a willing and educated buyer is willing to spend) can be all over the place on the current market. My son's Danish return Service Grade with mixed beech and walnut wood M/W of 2.8 was $400.00. Mine, with USGI walnut stock, a bit more of the mixed Parkerizing finish retaining and a M/W on a new VAR barrel of just under "0" was also $400.00. I bought mine right before the CMP decided to charge a $50.00 premium on VAR barrels. I think about $850.00 on the commercial market for his would be fair, but if I was going to sell mine(which as I said I wouldn't) I would probably ask $1,350.00-$1,500.00.

Our son's rifle is a good shooter. Mine is a great shooter, and definitely prettier but both were within the standards for Service Grade at the time. Both were absolute steals at $400.00 from the CMP 20 years ago.....time does fly
    I'm a buyer at $850

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    I'm a buyer at $850
    Mine or our boys? He's were I was 25 odd years ago. He doesn't sell guns at this stage of his life. Me, I'm unloading some stuff now. Your input is definately appreciated.
    Last edited by Art; 08-23-2022 at 07:07.

The last Service Grade that I bought was at a gun show. I got it for $575 OTD with a sling and 200 rounds of clipped ammo. That was over 10+ years ago, and still have it. The prices that the dealers are asking now are ridiculous. There is an auction tonight in NW PA. and they have several Garand's going up. Will find out what they go for.
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

Quote Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
    The last Service Grade that I bought was at a gun show. I got it for $575 OTD with a sling and 200 rounds of clipped ammo. That was over 10+ years ago, and still have it. The prices that the dealers are asking now are ridiculous. There is an auction tonight in NW PA. and they have several Garand's going up. Will find out what they go for.
    The Garands that sold at auction were all mixmasters and sold for $1K+. None were real nice.
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster