Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Service grade value

Is there a consensus on the value of service grade Garands from the CMP? Have two Letterkenni rebuilds with 1960s barrels. A friend of my brother is looking for one.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves

Do a search on Guns International to see what others are asking for theirs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Do a search on Guns International to see what others are asking for theirs.
    better have an account at Gunbroker and search completed auctions,

SG's generally bring $1400+ in this area

I agree in that where I am a nice service grade would run $1200-$1400.

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    better have an account at Gunbroker and search completed auctions,

SG's generally bring $1400+ in this area
    I had rather use Guns International and look at several ads than have to sign up with Gunbroker for a gun price.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    I had rather use Guns International and look at several ads than have to sign up with Gunbroker for a gun price.
    GI does not allow you to see completed sales, so you see what folks are asking,
    the same with GB if you do not look at completed auctions,

once sold and marked sold, the items says SOLD where the price was,

and as always, things are negotiable,

I sell on both, GB is the best for most firearms to get market pricing,

some obscure things, (like SxS shotguns and a few others) are not always well represented to get a good value

7. Default

I have two CMP Winchester (receivered) SG's. A friend wants to purchase them. One is U.S. SG, the other is Danish return SG (w/VAR barrel). What would be a fair market price for these?

I agree with the estimates. A nice service grade would be 12-1400. But a nice Letterkenny would be 1400 to 1600. It should have a sixties barrel and some (maybe not all) post war parts. Having the right marked stock is important too. The wood is usually birch. If it doesn't have the orange triangle it should at least have a un serriffed P(like this one).
    Last edited by dryheat; 08-21-2022 at 10:53.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad in Idaho View Post
    I have two CMP Winchester (receivered) SG's. A friend wants to purchase them. One is U.S. SG, the other is Danish return SG (w/VAR barrel). What would be a fair market price for these?
    If I recall back in the day the Winchester receiver brought about $300 more from the CMP even on a mixmaster rebuild. IHC similar.

You could probably sell them for $1900 each, maybe a touch more, especially if you offer the seller the opportunity to field strip the weapons to look for issues. If they are super-clean from rebuild then probably you can ask for more, based on condition. The thing is, who else is going to let him go through the rifles to his satisfaction before handing over the money? That alone in a case like this is worth a little bit more.

Blog Entries

I have an H&R SG that I am asking $1800 for and it has not moved yet,

the Dane return will go to a shooter, the VAR barrels are known to be very accurate, but it will not bring as much as a non Dane return,

the Winchester is hard to price, not knowing how many other parts are Winchester, I would start at $2K and then thumb rassle a bit