Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

This is why handloading is so important . . . .for saving brass.
    The Krag uses the thickness of the rim to off set the length of the chamber. Problem, there is not a component manufacturer that makes cases for reloaders that know what they are doing. Another problem, I do not know a reloader that knows how much clearance their Krag has because of the skinny rims.

I have checked/measured the thickness of the rim, most had at least .017" clearance. That must not mean anything to the component manufacturer because .017" is beyond field gage failure.

The purpose of the rim is to hold the case to the rear, excessive clearance, because of the thin rim defeats the purpose of the rim. And then we add the firing pin and primer,
    and observe how DIFFERENT they appear. See how the shoulder has MOVED FORWARD a good amount?
    The bullet, powder and case moved forward when fired. When fired the case locks to the chamber leaving the rear of the case unsupported against the bolt face.

And then comes the complicated part, when fired the rear of the case is driven back against the bolt face while the rest of the case is locked to the chamber. The case being driven to the rear of the chamber is the reason the Krag is subject to case head separation.

So when the case fills the chamber when fired leave it that way by not sizing the case or purchase cases that are longer between the datum at the shoulder and bolt face; but, again, component manufacturers do not make cases for reloaders that know what they are doing.

F. Guffey

Yup, Mr. Guffy . . . .

Finally, we AGREE on something!

I’ve been using “the Ken Waters” method of sizing brass for both the .303 British and the 30-40 Krag, and I’m convinced I get extended case life!

3. Default

I’m convinced I get extended case life
    I have a 1905 Ross and a few P14s and then there was the Krag, it was part of an inheritance, they wanted me to check it out and say something nice about the rifle and the man that did all of the reloading. I told them I would give them the rifle if they would promise me, they would never shoot it. A friend gave me a receiver that was drilled for a scope that would fit the Krag, they could never make their mind up and I thought that was the best thing they could do.

Their deer hunting has never suffered, not in the last 10 years.

F. Guffey

Many enthusiasts shoot, reload, and have great success with Krag rifles and carbines (with very good Brass life).

Rimmed bottle-neck cartridges have virtues and many Krag, Lee-Enfield and other rimmed military cartridge rifles perform without ammunition problems and 'head-separations'.
    There are useful reloading 'tricks' that can improve case to chamber fit and improve 'case-life'.

The opinion/knowledge/experience expressed in the last post did not specify what was wrong with the 'inherited' Krag.

Maybe unintentionally, it seemed to trash all U.S. .30-40 Krag-Jorgensen rifles.
    It offered nothing very practical to the enthusiast, to overcome the problem with cartridge-rim thickness in some Krag rifles.

'Useful' and helpful suggestions to a poster's question or reloading problem are not addressed by heavily proclaiming one's expertise, knowledge, and vast array of equipment.

A lot of guys shoot well and get by with a powder scale, reloader-handbook, and a "Lee-Loader".

The Krag rifles and carbines, that I own and shoot, will not close on a 'rim-gauge' that is .073" thick. My cartridge case rims normally measure .063" to .064" thick. The 'free travel' or gap, between the Krag recessed bolt-face and the base of a chambered cartridge, is running from .003" to .006" on eight different rifles and carbines.

What I find rather amazing is that (unsized) 'fired brass', from any one of these eight Krags, will chamber and extract in all its mates without extra effort.
    The only Krag that I segregate fired brass for is a model 1896, that likely has earlier (and slightly different) chamber dimensions.

It was once a common civilian gun-smithing practice to 'lap' the single locking-lug on a U.S. Krag, so that the bolt guide-rib made contact with the rear of the receiver.
    This theoretically increased action strength. However, it also removed casehardened steel from the locking-lug and increased head-space or free travel.
    A Krag that underwent this 'lapping' procedure or one with a worn Bolt can likely be restored by replacing the Bolt with a 'New-Old-Stock Bolt', (for about $80). This may be an easy cure for potential head-space issues.

A Krag, that has excessive head-space or free travel, can have Brass 'fire-formed' to its chamber.
    A technique 'Parashooter' has dispayed in past posts for .303 and .30-40 ammo, utilizes small open 'hoops' of clipped mono-filament fishing line.
    The 'hoop' is snapped around a loaded cartridge body in front of the rim.
    When chambered, the cartridge base is held tight against the bolt-face.
    Upon firing, case expansion is forward, allowing the brass to shape in the shoulder area of the chamber. Routine annealing of case necks aids the process.
    Neck-sizing only, helps preserve the fire-formed shoulder.
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 05-03-2022 at 08:25.

Very interesting OP and responses. Never realized that rim thickness might be problematic. Do know that with a modicum of care, it is possible to get good results on the range with well developed handholds. Happily have now got a selection of loaded factory ammo and some new brass, a set of dies and some primers and bullets both jacketed and cast. So, now its time to see what I can come up with for powder and get to loading! Look forward to trying out various loads in my 1902 Krag. With any kind of luck, I'll find a good load that will let me use it for a little deer hunting come the fall. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."