Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Krag at the range

Took the krag out to the range, these old eyes have a hard time with the sights. my best group was 3.5" group @ 50yds. My bud has 20/20 vision wants to try it to see if it can do better. I suppose it would be ok for hunting. I have set of dies for reloading. Ammo used was rem 180gr.

Quote Originally Posted by kj47 View Post
    . . . . . I have set of dies for reloading. . . . .
    When you handload, I STRONGLY recommend neck sizing only!

Brass is EXPENSIVE!!!

I have a 1902 Krag infantry rifle w/ a excellent bore. After Easter I hope to have a chance to take a little time off and do some reloading. Will be trying some loads using cast bullets and of course standard 150 and 180 gr. jacketed bullets. Going to have to see what I can come up with for powder. Have some Red Dot, Green Dot and Unique, so I am good to go w/ the cast lead bullets. Got to figure out what will be best for starting loads for the jacketed. Have learned the hard way, always best to start w/ mild loads before moving on up to the full-power stuff. Let's me get zeroed on paper, etc., before moving on out to the 100/200 yd. ranges. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Took the krag out to the range, these old eyes have a hard time with the sights. my best group was 3.5" group @ 50yds. My bud has 20/20 vision wants to try it to see if it can do better. I suppose it would be ok for hunting. I have set of dies for reloading. Ammo used was rem 180gr.
    I have old eyes, too. In fact all my S#$@ is old. What helps me shooting with iron sights is to use cheap reading glasses to sharpen up the sights without blurring the target too badly. 1.5s work pretty well for me ...

Good luck!

jn

Re: Reading glasses!!! Yes!!! Makes all the difference between shotgun groups and real good groups. Also w/ the Krag or Springifield, you can use a file to square up the top of the front sight so that you have a good square front sight. You can add a very thin brass shim to each side of the front sight to get a wider blade. Epoxy will hold it very well. Shape and profile the shim to match the original blade. Buy a spare rear sight for shooting. Drill out the little flip up rear aperture till you can clearly see your front sight. Makes range shooting loads more fun. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Also, use a sight hood to shield the blade from glare. The long snap-on one is better for this (even if butt-ugly) than the shorter M88. When EVERYTHING is right, the trapdoor WILL shoot MOA at 200yds. I've not done it, but know someone who has.

I noticed that pointed reloads tend to jam on this 1896, round nose feed flawlessly. I do have the front sight cover. I was also shooting from a sled. This is the enjoyment of the sport. I will take JimF advice & neck size only. Thanks to all for the advice

I noticed that pointed reloads tend to jam on this 1896, round nose feed flawlessly. I do have the front sight cover. I was also shooting from a sled. This is the enjoyment of the sport. I will take JimF advice & neck size only. Thanks to all for the advice
    My first Krag was and 1895 carbine that would feed anything, never a hangup or jam. The one I use hunting is a cut-down '98 and spitzers will often hang up. The gun will also take the tips off plastic-tipped spitzers. If yours hangs up pointed bullets, maybe a little work with a dremel will fix it. Or maybe you'll want to stick with RNs, at least in cases where you want a reliable follow-up shot.

jn
    Last edited by jon_norstog; 04-11-2022 at 10:29.

Possibly feeding has something to do with when a rifle was produced? The serial number of my Krag puts it in 1902 production. I have .30-40 ammunition from about 1930 up through current production, either Remington or Winchester with both round nose and pointed configuration. No problems feeding any of these rounds. Also feeds spitzer profile cast lead bullets. Standard action w/ no alterations at all. Sincerely. bruce.

Kj . . . . .
    Just for your knowledge benefit . . . . .
    When you do shoot your Krag, hold a fired case up alongside an unfired round. Take notice of the area of the neck/shoulder silhouette, and observe how DIFFERENT they appear. See how the shoulder has MOVED FORWARD a good amount?
    This is why handloading is so important . . . .for saving brass.