Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What was your first NEW car?

This post expands on a previous post about what was your first car.
    My first new car was a 1964 Chevelle SS with 4 speed, 3.70 posi rear end, no power steering or power brakes, exterior color Aqua Blue with black interior and a stout 357 c.i. 365 hp engine that took 3 months to get from the factory to dealer. Price was #3375.00 give or take. Won trophies drag racing and got a good 22 mpg highway. Had problem keeping tires on the rear what with all that street racing back then.
    Years after I traded it off, I found out that only 208 of these Chevelles were produced with the 365 HP engine!
    Last edited by Major Tom; 04-12-2022 at 05:19.

1995 Dodge Caravan. Bought off the lot when I entered the Minivan phase of life with 2 kids.

Similar to my first, 1984 ford F-250. Now I drive a 2012 F-250

4. Default

1964 Volvo PV544 which I kept for 31 yr and sold in 1995 in running condition. Every time, I thought about selling, I thought about all we had been through together (military service, grad school, marriage and three kids, house purchase).

I waited ‘till I was 72 before I bought my first and only, new car! (a 2014 Forester.)

Blog Entries

1993 Saturn SL2,

had to order it,

great car,
    loaded, and a 5 spd,
    very quick for the time, and handled well, (but not as good my buddies 93 Jetta)
    at 52K it developed an electrical gremlin so I traded it on a 97 T100 that as not technically new, it was a demo, which was traded off for a demo model 2000 Tundra I still have

2nd new car was a 2013 Mini Cooper S, Hardtop, that was unfortunately totaled when a cell phone user rear ended me at 65mph ( I was stopped in traffic)

wife's first new car was a 1993 Celica, not a great car,, which was disappointing considering I had a 79 that was a great car
    Last edited by lyman; 04-07-2022 at 07:43.

1966 Chev. Caprice 2 dr. with 327 engine/4 brl carb. Bucket seats, center council with automatic transmission. Black Vinal top. Wife could not drive a stick shift. Was an excellent vehicle, good on gas mileage, comfort was reasonable. No complaints until it was totaled by a dwi driver. Out the door price including tax and delivery charges was an even $3,200.00. No trade in.
    Last edited by JohnMOhio; 04-07-2022 at 09:36. Reason: added info
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    This post expands on a previous post about what was your first car.
    My first new car was a 1964 Chevelle SS with 4 speed, 3.70 posi rear end, no power steering or power brakes, exterior color Aqua Blue with black interior and a stout 357 c.i. 365 hp engine that took 3 months to get from the factory to dealer. Price was #3375.00 give or take. Won trophies drag racing and got a good 22 mpg highway. Had problem keeping tires on the rear what with all that street racing back then.
    Well, I expect, if you had the where with all to order a car like that back then you have been pretty successful.
    Being country, I only owned used cars for a long time. Then just a few years ago I decided to buy a new car. My friends congratulated me on my decision.
    Ford Edge; Now Ford is a big company. And at the forefront. Right off the bat I had issues. The warranty covered it. More issues. The warranty covered it. I didn't even know I had a platinum warranty. The warranty cost 2K but there was 4K worth of work done. I read that Ford got dinged for the cost of the warranties. Hasn't hurt them all that much it seems.
    I was never much of a car guy, but I know some of the talk. GTO, three eighty nine. Dual carb. 4:11 rear end. Had goofy reverb hooked up in the trunk. The rain leaks shorted it out. None of that was mine. What I did do was get some springs off a ? station wagon to bring the rear end up to a respectable position. The story has a sad ending.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

1971 Ford Pinto, 1.6 english engine motor tough as nails. Rest of car not so much, $1960 for base model.

I would get a new company car every few years between 1979 thru 1998. The first new car that we actually bought was a 2010 Ford Flex that we only kept for a year because the front seats were too uncomfortable. We traded that in on the 2011 Toyota Sienna that we still own.