Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New to me Winchester Carbine.

I thought I would check with you guys that know more than I do. I have a very nice , never touched Win. # 57798xx with ajust. rear sight and type 2 unmarked barrel band. Not even the stock has been touched.
    I just today picked up an other Win. that is the same. I had it all apart and it's all Win. and matching wear. Even the stock has not been touched. The ser.# on this one is 57887xx (BUT) it has a typ. 3 barrel band. My book say's it's a little to early for the typ. 3 band. The band is stamped C. What do you guys think,? been changed or was on from new.
    Thanks for any help.
    Smoky

Things to look for would be wear marks for both barrel band types on the front stock and signs of mounting/dismounting front sight to facilitate a band swap.

Truth is Carbines have been heavily worked over so there is no way to truly know.

It could be correct. The serial number range of your Carbines covers production from February to November of 1944, and the bayonet lug was added to the Winchester in late 1944. The first bands with bayonet lugs were stamped with a C on the left side.

Johnny.
    This band does have the C on the left side just below the swivel. I would love to think it is right for the gun. It's a nice Winchester but not T marked like my other one. I payed more for this than any carbine in my life. What is going on with the price of this stuff.? I guess $20. DCM guns and $100. to $150. at a store days are gone.
    Thanks again.

All the NRA/DCM Carbines I saw were post WWII rebuilds. Cheap enough at the time, but the few original guns are becoming highly collectible. As with the M1 Rifle, the M1 Carbine went through a huge rebuild program after WWII to add the new modifications, and few originals still exist.

An original early Winchester in the 1.3 million serial number range.

That is is great Winchester that you have. Hear are some pictures, Not very good. The cross cannon on the stock is very nice and clear but not to good in the picture. So there is a chance the typ 3 band my have come with it.? I have never seen wood like this, what kind is it. ? Also, where can I get Carbine birth from ser. numbers. ? Thanks for your help.DSCN1372.jpgDSCN1372.jpgspencersjoy@gmail.comDSCN1377.jpgDSCN1376.jpgDSCN1375.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    All the NRA/DCM Carbines I saw were post WWII rebuilds. Cheap enough at the time, but the few original guns are becoming highly collectible. As with the M1 Rifle, the M1 Carbine went through a huge rebuild program after WWII to add the new modifications, and few originals still exist.

An original early Winchester in the 1.3 million serial number range.

Very nice!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    It could be correct. The serial number range of your Carbines covers production from February to November of 1944, and the bayonet lug was added to the Winchester in late 1944. The first bands with bayonet lugs were stamped with a C on the left side.

wait,, what?

such a broad range of a build date?

had a guy tell me once that he had talked to a Carbine guru that told him his carbine was built on a particular day, and what shift,

and he was serious

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    wait,, what?

such a broad range of a build date?

That is the serial number range, not build date.

That covers approximately 285,000 Winchester Carbines produced between February and November of 1944. They were already scaling back Carbine production, with only Inland and Winchester left after May of 1944, and Winchester production was also scaled back during this time.