Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default It?s hard to say good bye

Anyone who has gone through the traumatic ordeal of putting a pet down knows the feeling. I had to euthanize my 8 year old female cat yesterday. The last time I had to do that to a pet was back in 1997, so I had forgotten the intense sorrow. She was a tiny cat - only 7 pounds - but she was a major presence in our house. I became her buddy early on, and she always came to me for attention.

Unfortunately, she developed a cancerous tumor in one of her breasts that was discovered in May, 2020 that was smaller than an average pea. It was surgically removed. The prognosis for a complete recovery was poor since the cancer had spread to her lymph nodes. I did not find it soon enough. She had almost two years of relatively good health but two large and very aggressive cancerous tumors were found yesterday. One had compressed her colon and the other compressed her esophagus. She could neither eat or move her bowels. The symptoms occurred within a week. Her last three month checkup was in late January and no tumors were found. The next exam was scheduled for late April.

We made a fatal error when she adopted us as a 4-5 month old stray on Memorial Day, 2014. We should have had her spayed immediately prior to her first reproductive (heat) cycle. This lowers the odds of females developing breast cancer to almost zero. We had her spayed after the first reproductive cycle because we were totally unaware that one of the main causes of breast cancer in female cats is the rush of hormones from her first heat.

Female cats should be regularly examined by their owners for breast tumors. There is a very short period of time, maybe as short as a few weeks, to find and remove the tumor before the cancer spreads into the lymph nodes. The tumor has probably existed for several weeks in her breast by the time it grows large enough to be felt.

It was a great 8 years. I only wish we had 8 more.

Sorry guys, this belongs in Gun Talk.
    Last edited by Merc; 05-03-2022 at 10:15. Reason: More information.

Those of us who love our pets know what you're going through. A cat or dog can become as much a member of the family as a human and in some ways are better.

As you know, time will help, though that seems unbelievable right now. I could have gone all day without reading this as I'm going through it myself with the loss of our miniature white Schnauzer. It's been 2 months and I still visualize him everywhere I look since we did so much together. He also fit the bill as "best friend". I had a white shadow when he walked the earth.

No dog or cat lives long enough. We see the whole cycle of life flash before us within a few short years.

As we get older our pets mean more to us. Flea medications (preventions) are better now so we can keep them in the house, sleep on our beds, etc... As we retire we can also spend more time with them and get closer to them which makes the ordeal of saying "bye" a lot harder.

On a side note: cats get heartworms just like dogs. It's a myth that cats can't receive the mosquito bite because of their fur but they do on their ears and nose. We've lost a cat or two from this not knowing.

Sorry for your loss.
    Last edited by Allen; 04-06-2022 at 06:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Those of us who love our pets know what you're going through. A cat or dog can become as much a member of the family as a human and in some ways are better.

As you know, time will help, though that seems unbelievable right now. I could have gone all day without reading this as I'm going through it myself with the loss of our miniature white Schnauzer. It's been 2 months and I still visualize him everywhere I look since we did so much together. He also fit the bill as "best friend". I had a white shadow when he walked the earth.

No dog or cat lives long enough. We see the whole cycle of life flash before us within a few short years.

As we get older our pets mean more to us. Flea medications (preventions) are better now so we can keep them in the house, sleep on our beds, etc... As we retire we can also spend more time with them and get closer to them which makes the idea of saying "bye" a lot harder.

On a side note: cats get heartworms just like dogs. It's a myth that cats can't receive the mosquito bite because of their fur but they do on their ears and nose. We've lost a cat or two from this not knowing.

Sorry for your loss.
    Thanks for your kind words. They mean a lot. She was part of our family.

Blog Entries

sorry for your loss Merc

Most of us have been there with our dogs or cats or both. There is no easy way to say goodbye. She loved and trusted you to take care of her. You did everything she could ask for. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

What everyone said. Sorry for your loss. Been through it too many times - next likely loss here will be Chance, our 17-year old male tabby, who is the mellowest cat we've ever seen. He truly is like a little furry person, and is VERY communicative and intuitive.

Blog Entries

I had to put one to sleep in Nov for congestive heart failure, and one in Feb for kidney failure. I have one more, she's 13 and has arthritis, cushings dease and diabetes. She follows me everywhere, I know she's lonely. My lap and recliner belong to her. When she goes, there will be no more. We're too old to take on a puppy to train, and older dogs have already taken on someone elses personality. I have heald all my dogs as they passed. They were such a big part of our lives, and we of thiers. When I think of them, it feels like someone punched me in the nose.

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    I had to put one to sleep in Nov for congestive heart failure, and one in Feb for kidney failure. I have one more, she's 13 and has arthritis, cushings dease and diabetes. She follows me everywhere, I know she's lonely. My lap and recliner belong to her. When she goes, there will be no more. We're too old to take on a puppy to train, and older dogs have already taken on someone elses personality. I have heald all my dogs as they passed. They were such a big part of our lives, and we of thiers. When I think of them, it feels like someone punched me in the nose.
    I know the feeling. My depression is still very intense. I do not expect it will relent anytime soon.

9. Default

You brought tears to my eyes. We often take our pets for granted. I had to put our oldest cat down a month ago and another 10 months before. For some reason they always adopt me as their main care human. I was lucky. My two were 16 and 17. Still have three and one dog. I can't imagine a life without one in it.

Quote Originally Posted by jaie5070 View Post
    You brought tears to my eyes. We often take our pets for granted. I had to put our oldest cat down a month ago and another 10 months before. For some reason they always adopt me as their main care human. I was lucky. My two were 16 and 17. Still have three and one dog. I can't imagine a life without one in it.
    Yes, you were very lucky.

I held Kat a lot when she first came to us as a severely malnourished juvenile. The vet said she was healthy and all she needed was some food and TLC which I provided in abundance. She soon knew who to reward with her love and trust. She spent many hours sleeping on my lap and loved being brushed. I had nearly two years to prepare for this eventuality so you would think that I would be handling it better.

We are planning to volunteer at our local Animal Friends (a no-kill animal shelter) in May when we return from a trip. Maybe by then, I will have a clear mind and can decide whether I want to do this again.
    Last edited by Merc; 04-27-2022 at 05:46.