1. Default Help identify tool

This looks similar to a trapdoor mainspring vise, but it's not exactly like any I can find pictured anywhere. Any help with what this is and what it's for?

Last edited by diyj98; 03-23-2022 at 06:08.

Mainspring vise

3. Default

Have you seen one of this design? I was pretty sure it was a mainspring vise, but I couldn't find any like this one. I'm curious about it's history.

There was a lot of gunsmiths back in the 19th century that would of used mainspring vises so my guess would be something made up by an experienced gunsmith of the time, or possibly from a foreign country, or even something made in the 20th century by surplus dealers such of Bannerman family and others, hard to tell.

There were sevral variations of the mainspring vice used during the Civil War due to the large number of different rifles used.

Blog Entries

Post this on antiquereloadingtools.com Free to join.

Their knowledge base on old tools os as deep as THR's on shooting/reloading.
    Last edited by PWC; 03-24-2022 at 07:33.

7. Default

Might be for a non US lock?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    Might be for a non US lock?
    I thought that might be the case.

I tried to register at antiquereloadingtools.com, but after 3 days I'm still not approved. I'm thinking it may not be an active forum.

Blog Entries

Antique reloading is active, there are ppsys this month. Admittidly, it os slower than others because of the availability of the subject.