Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Beware the silent squib.

Been hand loading for 60 years and had my first squib yesterday. I had loaded up a test batch of ammo for my Mosin and, out on the range, I had fired maybe 25 rnds out of my bolt action, all of a sudden, pulled the trigger and click, nothing. First thought was a bad primer but then I pulled the bolt back out pops a spent case. Hummm! Further examination showed this dumb bunny has missed a powder charge in one cartridge. The primer fire had pushed a bullet 6" down the bore. Bullet was easily removed with a cleaning rod and went back to shooting. By the way I had a ball.

Giving this a bit more thought on how easy this would be for the loaders that move a loading tray around under a powder measure to charge their cases and miss one. Such a mistake with an auto loader could really create the problem that we read about every once in awhile. A person is using a semi auto , fires a fews rnds and click. First thought is a bad primer so pull the op rod back and chamber another round. OOPS, bad idea, if you have a squib load with a bullet in the barrel you have just created a bomb in front of your face. Think every time before pulling the trigger. Has everything, to this point, been normal? If not back up and check to see why.

Just found your post. Glad you caught the problem before it became a really big problem. Been reloading since 1980. Have had squibs, but only in revolvers. Never had a problem removing them. Don't even want to think about what would have happened if I'd been firing fast and let another round go w/ a bullet stuck in the barrel. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

This is how Brandon Lee was shot and killed on the set of "The Crow". A blank was fired with a squib lodged in the barrel and out it came.

Years ago I bought some "silent" 22 rimfire ammo. Basically this was 22 ammo with no powder---just primer powered. The rounds worked great in my S&W revolver with a 6" barrel. However, when tried in a bolt action rifle (good clean bore) with the longer barrel I knew to check and sure enough, I had a squib. Not enough power to make it out. This was made by Agila. Unless they have gone to a stronger primer these should be outlawed.
    Last edited by Allen; 03-19-2022 at 10:30.

Blog Entries

picked up a big ammo estate years ago,
    all surplus stuff, sold quickly,
    in the pile was some stuff from a company called BER out of NY,

no one was interested in it, I could not find much on the web about the company, so I took the lone box of 357 to the range,

first 12 rounds,, no worries, but not very accurate out of the normally very accurate 686
    next six, bang, bang, pfft,

I'm standing there , pistol in hand, wondering if it was a hangfire, and my buddy started to freak out,

popped the cylinder, and like nf1e, empty shell, and a squib,

popped out easy, and I downloaded the rest and checked the powder in the rest,
    all had powder, but it was very inconsistent, re the powder weight,

5. Default

After finding Zediker's Top Grade Ammo it sunk in to use my Dillon more as a processor than an ammunition plant, especially for the '06,7.62 and 5.56 ammo. Run through in batches to deprime, tumble, size, Gracey, then prime, charge each case and place in the loading block before seating bullets. For lead bullet 9,38, 44 and 45 I have powder check dies in the head.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    After finding Zediker's Top Grade Ammo it sunk in to use my Dillon more as a processor than an ammunition plant, especially for the '06,7.62 and 5.56 ammo. Run through in batches to deprime, tumble, size, Gracey, then prime, charge each case and place in the loading block before seating bullets. For lead bullet 9,38, 44 and 45 I have powder check dies in the head.
    I have read his AR book and Comp Reloading book,

both worth the read,

sadly he passed a few years ago

Blog Entries

I have never had a squib, and I don't say that to brag, rather when I began reloading, I decided my process was the safest for me to insure I never missed a powder charge.

I load on single stage press, 38+ yrs, and never had a squib; When I drop the powder charge in the case, it never leaves my left hand until I seat the bullet and put it back in the loading block, a completed cartridge. That's the way I have taught others new to the hobby. What they do as they gain experience is on them.

I never felt the need to upgrade to a progressive, reference all the threads on different forums talking about the problem of visually verifying the auto powder drop.

I never wanted to drop powder while the case is in the loading block because it is too easy to be interrupted and forget where you left off, even with a flashlight checking cases.

To borrow an 80's cliche: different strokes for different folks.
    Last edited by PWC; 03-19-2022 at 10:19.

I do the same, load one at a time. I keep the primed cases in blocks with the primer up, grab one with my left hand, charge and right away over to the press for seating. Somehow, perhaps old age, the charge never got loaded. Murphy?

115 Bergers.jpg

Hornady makes a die with an indicator rod on top that floats on top of the powder charge. Made for progressive presses, you set the rod depth for the charge you're using, then too low and you don't have any or enough powder, too high and you've over charged or double charged.

This is not going to appeal to us old farts who have reloaded for years and now down sizing and/or set in our ways but may be handy for new comers and those who have too many things on their minds at once while reloading.

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-05006.../dp/B003D6ZLXE

I thought I was doing a great thing when I added the LED lights to my press. Makes it easy to visually check the powder charge. Don't know how I missed one. Senior moment?

Loading 2.jpg