Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Un-Quality M1 Carbine

3681FEAC-A886-4193-9E7C-2D57F93EA6B8.jpg3681FEAC-A886-4193-9E7C-2D57F93EA6B8.jpg

This receiver looks odd.
    I would appreciate any
    Thoughts on this .

Ahat looks odd about it? Kinda hard to tell from one pic.
    Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!

The Union Switch & Signal Company that produced the Model 1911A1 pistols was also contracted to make slides, bolts, and receivers for three of the M1 Carbine manufacturers. One of the M1 Carbine manufacturers, Quality Hardware and Machining Co., received almost 29,000 receivers with an unknown quantity marked UN-Quality, creating a distinct variation.

Nice Carbine.

Have spent my collecting life in another genre, but have always wanted a carbine. Passed on the $59 DCMs when in high school, and now feel that the prices are nothing short of OBSCENE for a weapon produced in such huge quantities. I'd like to get ONE representative carbine, in solid shootable order, not start a "new" collection. I DO want a GI piece, having heard nothing good about the commercial knockoffs, but it can be the commonest maker, with none of the "rare" features required. What would the experts here recommend, and what, approximately, should I expect to pay? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Have spent my collecting life in another genre, but have always wanted a carbine. Passed on the $59 DCMs when in high school, and now feel that the prices are nothing short of OBSCENE for a weapon produced in such huge quantities. I'd like to get ONE representative carbine, in solid shootable order, not start a "new" collection. I DO want a GI piece, having heard nothing good about the commercial knockoffs, but it can be the commonest maker, with none of the "rare" features required. What would the experts here recommend, and what, approximately, should I expect to pay? Thanks in advance.
    I will be the first to go out on a limb here.

It use to be on Gun Broker you could call up closed auctions to see what things actually sold for. I don't see that option any longer so I will make a guess that the lowest $ GI carbine you will find will run between $800 to $1200. I believe Inland was the most produced manf. so they will most likely be among the cheapest.

If you find a re-imported stamped rifle it usually knocks off a couple of hundred. Some of the "Blue Sky" stamps on the barrel are quite deep but the others I've seen are tiny and shallow so accuracy would not be affected. With USGI guns drying up the re-import models are now selling for almost the same.

If you decide on a commercial model (which it sounds like you're not) the Plainfield's were pretty good but as you might expect, they are selling for near the cost of a GI make now.

Before shopping you might consider the cost and availability of 30 carbine ammo too.

Tuna seemed to be the most knowledge one here on carbines.
    Last edited by Allen; 03-14-2022 at 11:44.

6. Default

Harold,

I do not see a problem with the font, style or placement of UN-QUALITY in the example shown. Do you have a closer photo? And also a photo of front receiver ring?
    What barrel is on it? Please share more photos if you have them.
    Thanks

Last edited by harold; 03-15-2022 at 08:11.

Nothing wrong with the Carbine shown. Correct serial number range. QHMC did not produce any barrels, and obtained all their barrels through the government free-issue barrel program. Barrel could be from any of several barrel makers.

9. Default

All due respect. "Nothing wrong with the carbine shown", is impossible to prove with the limited detail shown.
    The only information that can be ascertained from the three very small images posted, is the Carbine is in the correct serial number range. I realize the OP's original question was only concerning the "originality" of the rear of the receiver...which looks to be 100% original. I was hoping to get a barrel maker and date, if any, to place with the proper timeframe when these were made, along with a photo of front receiver ring, which proves a real UN-Quality receiver. Larger photos of the entire Carbine would have also been nice for the membership to learn from.
    Respectfully, JA

10. Default

You wanted a close up of the placement of the UN-QUALITY, and there is nothing wrong with the placement. The original poster thought the receiver marking looked odd, but the marking is correct.