Thread: Seeking info

Default Seeking info

What could anyone tell me about M1a 008561? The bolt isn't marked on the top and the bedding is so tight I don't want to break it down at this point in time.
    Thanks

Blog Entries

who made it,

if Springfield, then it's an early one, probably mid to late 70's (but IIRC to late for an Elmer Balance made one)

bolt not marked is a bit odd

I have 7024 bought new late 70's, at one time springfield had a recall on the bolts, soft i think. I sent mine back and they put in a military bolt in it.
    kurt

If it's SAI built rifle something doesn't add up with an unmarked bolt. Maybe just a receiver that someone added parts to.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    If it's SAI built rifle something doesn't add up with an unmarked bolt. Maybe just a receiver that someone added parts to.
    good point,

sounds like a call to SA is needed to see how it was sold

Springfield sold a lot of bare receivers, I had 8550 if memory serves me. No specific pattern on parts, just what was available. Any markings on the bottom of the bolt? (if you look up thru the mag well with light)

I remember the soft bolts and seem to remember military bolts were always marked. If it's been fired, look at the lugs for peening and the bolt face for erosion.

7. Default

You could contact SAI and find out how it was originally sold.