Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To answer the original question, Larry Byrd and Bill Burrows amassed a very, very large data base of Remington and Smith-Corona serial numbers, barrel dates, and rifling grooves. I have that data base.

Articles by William Hansen on the Red Star Remingtons are filled with inaccuracies. It was for that reason a definitive article was composed and published iin Man at Arms magazine.

J.B.

2. Default

Hello Mr. Beard. Looking forward to the Birmingham show and hope to meet with you again. Any chance all that data will ever be published to the benefit of us collectors ?

Over the years, I've managed to collect 157 out of the 200 "Red Star" rifles' serial numbers, most barrel dates and other information.

Will Levin told his nephew that he was told he could have imported 10,000 of them as easy as the 200 he did get. Keep in mind, he got these rifles from the British MoD.
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 03-12-2022 at 11:50.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Rick . . . .I thought you destroyed that avatar!

Not yet!!! LOL!!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

6. Default

I?d there any idea how many other rifles were returned to the US after service in England? I have read somewhere that there were others who were able to return some of these rifles. I own an early 1903 Remington with British markings on the left side of the rifle and a few bits of red paint on the rear band. It appears as an original early 1903 Remington with boxed RLB and ordnance wheel stamps on the left side of the stock. The serial number is 3053154.

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    I?d there any idea how many other rifles were returned to the US after service in England? I have read somewhere that there were others who were able to return some of these rifles. I own an early 1903 Remington with British markings on the left side of the rifle and a few bits of red paint on the rear band. It appears as an original early 1903 Remington with boxed RLB and ordnance wheel stamps on the left side of the stock. The serial number is 3053154.
    In the 1960's, Interarms of Alexandria, VA, under their "Hunters Lodge" logo, sold hundreds if not thousands of British Remingtons which they bought and re-imported from Britain. The rifles exhibit British export proof markings (which the Red Star Remingtons do not exhibit). You very likely have one of those.

J.B.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    Hello Mr. Beard. Looking forward to the Birmingham show and hope to meet with you again. Any chance all that data will ever be published to the benefit of us collectors ?
    I plan to be there for a few hours on Saturday with Herschel Garner. I am not aware of any plans to publish the Larry Byrd/Bill Burrows data base.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 03-15-2022 at 09:27.

8. Default

Well, a little time has passed, two articles were carefully read and I was fortunate to have just taken delivery of SN 3049391. I was wrong about the time to delivery which was almost 10 years after WW2 ended. My modest Remington 1903 collection is complete!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    Over the years, I've managed to collect 157 out of the 200 "Red Star" rifles' serial numbers, most barrel dates and other information.
    Hi Rick,

Do you have mine? SN 3035185 Bbl Date 1-42. The stock has grasping grooves and there are no lightening cuts on the rear sight base.
    Please let me know if you need additional information.
    And thank you for the excellent photography in the Man at Arms article.

Rick