Quote Originally Posted by milboltnut View Post
If you cannot move the shoulder back then why does a gauge tell me I am moving it back?
Reloaders assume they are moving the shoulder back when they are sizing a case and then someone that has never put any thought into what was happing to the case when sizing told them they were moving the shoulder back.

Again, I form 30/06 cases to 8mm57 cases. There is .127" difference in the length of an 8mm57 case and a 30/06 case. It means nothing to those that never put any thought into it, but I did not move the shoulder back .127". The shoulder I formed on the 8mm57 is not the same shoulder I started with on the 30/06 case. No one has ever asked, "If the shoulder does not move back. where does it go? The 30/06 neck becomes part of the 8mm57 shoulder and part of the 30/06 shoulder becomes part 8mm57 case body. SO, when forming and or sizing the shoulder of the case moves forward and if the case last a long time all of that brass moving forward must be trimmed.

I took two 8x06 rifles to the rang, I fired 8mm57 ammo in both of the rifles. A reminder, there is .127" difference in length between the 8mm57 round and the 30/06 round between the datum to the case and head. After firing I found the shoulder of the 8mm57 had become part of the case body and the neck almost disappeared. I could ask, what does that mean?

F. Guffey