Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .30-06 info

1. Thumbs down

Explain clearance verses HS. And did you do a chamber cast to know the length of your 1917?
    You ask this question of one of only two reloaders that can measure a chamber for head space/length of a chamber, thank you.

No, for me it was easier to measure the length of the chamber from the shoulder of the chamber to the bolt face. The 280 Remington case is .051" longer than the 30/06 case from the shoulder to the case head. When it comes to forming cases I cannot miss with .051". long story to make you dizzy, when measuring long chamber, I use a forming die with a feeler gage to adjust the die off of the deck of the shell holder. After forming/sizing I measure the length of the case from the datum (.375") to the case head for final adjustment.

After I make final adjustments, I adjust the die to .014"off the deck of the shell holder, the .002" gives me .002" clearance on my newly formed/sized cases.

F. Guffey

The length of my chambers is measured in thousandths.

Component manufactures do not manufacture cases to reloaders that know what they are doing, if they did, they would add a few thousandths to the case between the datum/shoulder to the case head.

that's what I did...but am getting caught up in .001 to .002 bump, but a guy told me that the 06 has issues with the shoulder verses the improved shoulder.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    You ask this question of one of only two reloaders that can measure a chamber for head space/length of a chamber, thank you.

No, for me it was easier to measure the length of the chamber from the shoulder of the chamber to the bolt face. The 280 Remington case is .051" longer than the 30/06 case from the shoulder to the case head. When it comes to forming cases I cannot miss with .051". long story to make you dizzy, when measuring long chamber, I use a forming die with a feeler gage to adjust the die off of the deck of the shell holder. After forming/sizing I measure the length of the case from the datum (.375") to the case head for final adjustment.

After I make final adjustments, I adjust the die to .014"off the deck of the shell holder, the .002" gives me .002" clearance on my newly formed/sized cases.

F. Guffey

The length of my chambers is measured in thousandths.

Component manufactures do not manufacture cases to reloaders that know what they are doing, if they did, they would add a few thousandths to the case between the datum/shoulder to the case head.
    So do I. I don't think you realize you are setting the shoulder back

ANd yeah you continue to make me dizzy and your mod says you do to.
    Last edited by milboltnut; 02-09-2022 at 04:07.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

3. Default

Head space and clearance: For years reloaders claimed the case had head space, my cases have a length, I off set the length of the chamber with the length of the case.

I measure the length of my cases from the datum to the case head, If I want to know the clearance between the bolt face and case head I have to have a way to measure the length of the chamber (head space).

F. Guffey

Head space and clearance: For years reloaders claimed the case had head space, my cases have a length, I off set the length of the chamber with the length of the case.

I measure the length of my cases from the datum to the case head, If I want to know the clearance between the bolt face and case head I have to have a way to measure the length of the chamber (head space).

F. Guffey
    And what way is that ?
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

5. Default

that's what I did...but am getting caught up in .001 to .002 bump, but a guy told me that the 06 has issues with the shoulder verses the improved shoulder.
    There is the chamber shoulder and there is the case shoulder. And I have found it impossible to move a shoulder back, I cannot move the shoulder of a case back and I cannot bump it back.

For years reloaders have talked about the dreaded donut and then they claim they "move the shoulder back", if they could move the shoulder back, they could eliminate the dreaded donut.

F. Guffey

F. Guffey

There is the chamber shoulder and there is the case shoulder. And I have found it impossible to move a shoulder back, I cannot move the shoulder of a case back and I cannot bump it back.

For years reloaders have talked about the dreaded donut and then they claim they "move the shoulder back", if they could move the shoulder back, they could eliminate the dreaded donut.

F. Guffey

F. Guffey
    If you can not move the shoulder back then why does a gauge tell me I am moving it back ?
    Last edited by milboltnut; 02-07-2022 at 12:45.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by milboltnut View Post

- - - Updated - - -

So do I.

ANd yeah you continue to make me dizzy and your mod says you do to.

not sure on this,

The Mod, (of the forum you are a member off) said you will get used to it,

or not

if I do get used to it, I won't be dizzy, if I don't then I won't be. Is that better ?

F. Guffey
    According to you, you can't bump a shoulder, so how would you know a donut would be eliminated if they could bump a shoulder back? Am I making you dizzy ?
    Last edited by milboltnut; 02-07-2022 at 02:34.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by milboltnut View Post
    if I do get used to it, I won't be dizzy, if I don't then I won't be. Is that better ?