Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Question

Default Powder Question

I have a can (metal) of IMR 4350 with the metal seal still in tact. No rust. Opinions on are suggestion on using this powder. Reloads will be for shooting on range only. Think it?s still functional ? Or should I junk it..

John in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

I don't think anyone can give you a yes or no on this. I've shot 80 year old ammo that performed well.

Open the can and see how it looks.

Load up a dozen or so and see how they do at the range. Since it is going to be range ammo your life won't be dependant upon it so a missfire or 2 shouldn't hurt anything. Obviously you don't want to load up a bunch and then have to scrap it.
    Last edited by Allen; 01-28-2022 at 04:29.

Blog Entries

I have 30 yr old 748 in the 8lb paper jug as well as some of that Talon 4895 that was pull down powder,

it all shoots well,

and I have had Vit Vouri go sour , less than 10 yrs,

the tell will be when you open it,
    check the smell, check the color when you pull out and go from there

check the smell, check the color when you pull out and go from there
    What would I be looking for in the smell?

John in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

I have quite a bit of IMR-3031 and IMR-4198 in metal cans that I paid $14.95 per sometime in the last century. Still works fine.

Thanks guys for the input. Actually I have two pounds IMR 4350. Local guy passed away and his wife called me to remove “explosives “ from her basement. 5 lbs of Green Dot and the two cans of IMR 4350. One was open and almost full. I loaded 6 rounds using the open can and will run them through Remington 1903-A3 from CMP. Will advise the results..

John in SC
    Last edited by JOHN COOK; 01-29-2022 at 12:40. Reason: Correct rifle manufacture..

If it has a fowl smell to it, it has deteriorated. If so, discard it.
    Last edited by tmark; 01-28-2022 at 06:14.

Blog Entries

the vit vori stuff I had smelled like clorox

powder has a smell, I'll say kinda ether like, hard to describe, but you know it when it is good

No stink on the two cans, just a pleasant odor not obnoxious, almost medical. It is hard for me to describe, as Lyman stated.
    John in SC
    Last edited by JOHN COOK; 01-28-2022 at 07:03.

Maybe ether? That's a good thing.