Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder Question

Blog Entries

sounds good

Blog Entries

I've never had powder go bad but what I have read described a "bad" is a acetone smell.

When I open my powders I usually get the medical smell, and yes it could be an ether smell.

All my powder is black or dark grey, so I don't know....if it turns rust color ot's probably bad.
    Dump the can into a glass bowl to check for any below surface differences and look onto the can to see of there has been any interaction between powder and metal.
    Last edited by PWC; 01-29-2022 at 09:24.

Nasty powder smells "musty".
    I used to keep a lot of ammo boxes in the closet. Some of it was 1930's Mauser and not from nice countries. I moved it all out to the shed. 110 degree heat (Arizona) isn't good for it, but better for me.
    It doesn't smell like victory, per R. Duvall.
    Split necks (for no reason) is a sure sign of trouble. A little red rust on the case hasn't caused me any trouble. Green doesn't mean go.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

When powder starts to go, what I notice is a bit of a acrid smell when the cap is removed, it bites the senses just a bit. But then it dissipates quickly unless the powder is really bad.

But one might see grains starting to act "sticky" and clump to other grains. That's a sure sign that things are changing.

God, I have so much WW2 stuff that I know won't last forever, and is a job waiting for me

Some of it is in nice sealed cartons and probably the thing to do with those is sell them down the road, unless I want the projectiles. But if projectiles are the game, then better to pull too early than too late.

Compare it to another canister. I think I remember reading about a rotten egg smell. If stored in a dry and cool place you?d be surprised how long it lasts
    Last edited by milboltnut; 02-17-2022 at 07:05.

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    When powder starts to go, what I notice is a bit of a acrid smell when the cap is removed, it bites the senses just a bit. But then it dissipates quickly unless the powder is really bad.

But one might see grains starting to act "sticky" and clump to other grains. That's a sure sign that things are changing.

God, I have so much WW2 stuff that I know won't last forever, and is a job waiting for me

Some of it is in nice sealed cartons and probably the thing to do with those is sell them down the road, unless I want the projectiles. But if projectiles are the game, then better to pull too early than too late.
    I'd agree there, all counts.
    I once had about 2 1/2 , eight pound jugs of pulldown 4895-ish power go bad. It was just as described, poured clumpy, a smell very different from other 'fresh' powders, and some reddish dust all present. I had some really, really green grass around the house that year............

Tommy