Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dang, Another Great One Gone

It was hard not to like Meat Loaf, a truly great talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRQ12qjiDBQ

Meat Loaf was a name he picked up in high school from his football coach. Instead of getting upset about it he embraced it.
    Last edited by Art; 01-22-2022 at 01:57.

2. Default

who or what was Black Betty https://youtu.be/tYKOKTFtc4A
    Last edited by one shot; 01-22-2022 at 12:12.

Black Betty was a Black folk song first recorded by Huddy Ledbetter (Leadbelly) in the 1920s - '30s. It was probably adapted from earlier music. Black Betty could refer to, according to sources of the time, as a liquor bottle, a whip, or a "paddy wagon."

It could be an adapted reference to a 17th or 18th century expression in the Scottish borderlands for whisky.

Leadbelly's version is only loosely related to modern R&R versions which are heavy on the chorus.

Our daughter names her vehicles. Her current Ford SUV is "Black Betty." Yeah, she loves music and is probably almost as knowledgeable as Lyman.
    Last edited by Art; 01-22-2022 at 01:00.

Blog Entries

thanks for the compliment Art

I was saddened to hear of his passing,

not a yuge fan (his was popular when I was in high school, and I was a bit of a Punk/NewWave fan at the time) but his talent was undeniable

interesting bit I found online about Black Betty

UNH controversy
    In 2006, the University of New Hampshire administration controversially banned the playing of Ram Jam's "Black Betty" at UNH hockey games. UNH Athletic Director Marty Scarano explained the reason for the decision: "UNH is not going to stand for something that insults any segment of society".[58] In 2006 UNH students started the "Save Black Betty" campaign. Students protested at the hockey games by singing Ram Jam's "Black Betty", wearing T-shirts with writing on the front "Save Black Betty" and writing on the back "Bam-A-Lam", and holding up campaign posters at the game. The Ram Jam version was again played once at a UNH–UMaine hockey game on January 24, 2013, after a seven-year hiatus.

5. Default

My understanding is bam ba lam refers to a double barrel black powder shotgun that was used to chase down escapees from the chain gang .
    Last edited by one shot; 01-22-2022 at 01:11.

I wasn't a fan nor did I care for his stage name but apparently he was quite gifted.

I didn't get into the works of Prince either. Judging by his name and looks I just assumed he was some kind of "Boy George" type BS. It wasn't until after his death that I listened to his stuff and realized what a talented genious he was.

7. Default

There is a you-tube video of an interview with him about the Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's worth watching.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I wasn't a fan nor did I care for his stage name but apparently he was quite gifted.

I didn't get into the works of Prince either. Judging by his name and looks I just assumed he was some kind of "Boy George" type BS. It wasn't until after his death that I listened to his stuff and realized what a talented genious he was.
    like him or not, Prince was a very underrated guitarist, and a very prolific song writer

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    like him or not, Prince was a very underrated guitarist, and a very prolific song writer
    In the list of great gitarists, Prince (born Prince Rogers Nelson) may not have been in a class by himself - but it didn't take long to call the roll. Years ago my wife and I would sometimes hit the clubs in our younger days and there were a couple of Prince songs always played including one I wouldn't post here because it's too "hard R" rated. He wrote some great stuff and I always turn up the volume for "Rasberry Beret," "Little Red Corvette," or, especially, "When Doves Cry."

I had not heard this before today but if you want to see some great guitar work and have a quarter hour to spare this is it. It has an ad at 10 minutes, how rude!!! I guarantee this would fill up a club dance floor!!

Bye the bye, I'd never heard Prince play electric base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNrAFb3I2js

The road and the stuff associated with it, especially the drugs, has killed a lot of great ones.
    Last edited by Art; 01-23-2022 at 02:20.

Lyman

Do you know who the keyboardist in the black frock coat on the Prince video is? I have seen him on other stuff, including IIRC a Lady GaGa, Tony Bennett concert I took my wife to a few years ago. The guy seems to be in demand.