Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Filling another gap - 1870

Finally found a decent-looking 1870 rifle that didn't seem exorbitantly overpriced on Gunbroker. Those 1870s are kinda few and far between - there really are lots more 1866s and 1868s out there.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/918574751

Fresh off the truck:

A bit of an odd mixture of quite nice preservation, but with some nasty focal pitting...one spot nfortunately right there at the block markings. Makes me wonder if a couple of pieces have been replaced...

The firing proof is visible, but not completely legible.

Bore isn't the best, but not terrible, all things considered.

So now, I'm finally able to present a fairly complete group!

Last edited by Lead Snowstorm; 01-18-2022 at 03:52.

Those are great and congratulations on the 1870! Thanks for sharing your collection with us!
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

That truly IS a great collection! . . .

I also have a M1870 rifle, but in very rough condition.

I do shoot it, but don’t ever expect much in the accuracy department.

Very nice! Don't see such crisp/sharp stock flats, or case color, on very many rifles of that period. That 1870 was probably never issued, just picked up some storage rash. Your 1866 is particularly nice - much better than mine. Now you need to find an 1870 trials rifle with the rear sight against the short receiver, like your carbine!

Great to see such a fine collection, thanks for sharing!

6. Default

Thank you gentlemen! I was pleased to finally run across this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Now you need to find an 1870 trials rifle with the rear sight against the short receiver, like your carbine!
    I'll definitely keep my eyes open! Although, as I'm traveling back in time, I've got an M1855 on the way - really excited about that one, my first Civil War era rifle musket. So now I've created yet another hole in the collection (1861 and 1863/4) that must be filled as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Snowstorm View Post

So now I've created yet another hole in the collection (1861 and 1863/4) that must be filled as well!

If you are really going to open an even larger Pandora's Box and try for Civil War long arms, be forewarned that the Springfields you mentioned are just the basic items. You've already expanded that target by buying an Model 1855 - there are several versions of that, the 1861 was manufactured by Springfield and a large number of outside contractors some of whom made their own model changes (Colt). In addition, there are Model 1842 (and even earlier), multiple models imported from England, Austria, and other European Arsenals were used and many are very hard to find in nice original condition. There are Remingtons, Whitworth, Henry and other domestic names as well and we haven't even mentioned Carbines. There are dozens of those and can be a lifetime effort to find.

You will be forgiven if you chose to limit the scope.

Good Luck,
    70ish

Outstanding photos! Outstanding condition!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 70ish View Post
    If you are really going to open an even larger Pandora's Box and try for Civil War long arms, be forewarned that the Springfields you mentioned are just the basic items. You've already expanded that target by buying an Model 1855 - there are several versions of that, the 1861 was manufactured by Springfield and a large number of outside contractors some of whom made their own model changes (Colt). In addition, there are Model 1842 (and even earlier), multiple models imported from England, Austria, and other European Arsenals were used and many are very hard to find in nice original condition. There are Remingtons, Whitworth, Henry and other domestic names as well and we haven't even mentioned Carbines. There are dozens of those and can be a lifetime effort to find.

You will be forgiven if you chose to limit the scope.

Good Luck,
    70ish
    Hah, I'm already trying to figure out how to go about whittling down the possibilities to something reasonably attainable! I'm figuring on getting Springfields for the 61s and 63/4...am not sure if I am going to regard the 63/4 hole as filled with a single example of either, but probably will start with just one nice example, and am planning not to intentionally go down the contract rabbit-hole. If I run across a pristine contract musket for the deal of a lifetime, well...

The 1855 - hopefully here this weekend - is a very early type I, with 1857 dates, the long-range sight, and brass nosecap. That may satisfy me, or I may need one of the final examples, with the leaf sights, iron cap, and patch/catch box. (Ideally a Harper's Ferry, but darn - there's few enough of them already, and then to place even further restrictions on the type, AND it be for the very last of the types, of which I expect many burnt up at the arsenal? I imagine I'll be looking a long time!)

I figure someday I'll also try for an Enfield P53, and a representative Confederate rifle-musket, and call it a day there...then further back into the past, to the 1795 and the Charleville ($$$!).

Maybe then I'll seriously start trying to fill in handguns and carbines.

But before buying the guns, I have lots of books to buy. I have Fuller's books, and the first two volumes of Moller are on the way...

I’ve a buddy who I talked into buying an 1855 back in 1994 from an advanced collector named Bob Web in Kansas City. Bob was an incredible man who was respected by everyone. If he had something to tell about an antique firearm, you could believe it.
    Bob said he bought the musket at his table in Arkansas from a woman who had brought the family relic in to sell.
    it had been shortened for cavalry fighting. No rear sight. The door had been removed by the cavalryman.
    the trigger guard was reversed to allow a large steel ring to be used on a shoulder strap with hook and swivel.
    the wrist had been crudely checkered for a better grip.
    I’ve offered him a lot of money for it, but although he no longer is interested in it, he is extremely greedy and suspicious that I only want to sell it for a profit.
    I don’t need the money and will keep it if I ever obtain it.
    his greed is sad.
    I would love to have that Confederate carbine.
    Last edited by Fred; 01-21-2022 at 08:01.